VOGONS

First post, by Teddlington

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey,

New member and all, I've found this forum extremely useful over the past week - so Hi! I've got a semi-working Voodoo 2 12Mb - I'm unsure which exact model. I acquired it from a friend as the dead half of an SLI pair some years ago but never bothered looking at it until this week.

There's no obvious signs of physical damage and it's been stored either in a computer or in an anti-static bag, in bubble wrap its entire life. Pass through works fine (other than some banding that goes away after a minute or so (warming up?).

System spec:
Win XP 32
Athlon II x2 250
NVIDIA 610 GT for the 2D support.
Voodoo driver: 4.3.0.1098
I've been testing with UT99 (version 436) as it was already installed - 640x480 / high textures.

All the images below are from the same viewpoint on DM-Agony.

The issue:
Textures are stretched and oriented incorrectly, overlaid text is garbage, random white bar, some strange vertical striped artifacts. It's not totally obvious in this image because it's currently sunny and my monitor is washed out. and the scene is dark. It's essentially unplayable because I can't see a thing. The rest of the photos were taken last night when it was darker.

DSC_1918.jpg
Filename
DSC_1918.jpg
File size
36.91 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

I've ran diagnostics and I'm getting 4Mb reported for the FBI and both TMUs, nothing is screaming out at me as incorrect.

The progress last night:
1. Turned texture mapping off, which makes the vertical lines more obvious.

DSC_1914.jpg
Filename
DSC_1914.jpg
File size
55.17 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

2. Set the FBI and TMU to 2Mb each. Cleans up the striped artifacts. The game is unplayable with such a low amount of memory though, frame rates are awful (1Mb wont load the game, debug reports insufficient memory for the resolution).

DSC_1913.jpg
Filename
DSC_1913.jpg
File size
51.95 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

3. No screenshot here but I messed about switching memory amounts around. With the TMUs at 4Mb and the FBI at 2Mb, the artifacts still don't show but it's still a poor frame rate with a 2Mb frame buffer.

4. I switched the textures back on with the TMUs at 4Mb and FBI at 2Mb. Everything looks correct other than some striping on the textures.

DSC_1915.jpg
Filename
DSC_1915.jpg
File size
71.4 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Note: this is software mode, to show what the textures should look like, running off the 610 GT over pass through.

DSC_1916.jpg
Filename
DSC_1916.jpg
File size
97.71 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

My sort of assumption:
One or more of the frame buffer memory modules are bad, there's a bad resistor or capacitor between them and the frame buffer chip, or the frame buffer chip has bent legs / loose legs.

The things I need help with:
Is there a schematic that tells me which passive components connect the FBI and it's memory so I don't have to check everything / reverse engineer that region?
Is there anything else I should do before I risk bending or breaking loose possibly good FB IC legs by prodding about?