VOGONS

First post, by elcrys

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I bought this nice Diamond Stealth 3D 2000 Pro (as untested), but it has an issue - red colour is completely missing in its video output:

doom.jpg
Filename
doom.jpg
File size
174.86 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

So far, I have ruled out my LCD monitor, VGA cable and I have also tested conductivity from VGA connector terminals to PCB. There is no apparent damage on the card, in fact it's in a perfect condition:

IMG_20230902_181529.jpg
Filename
IMG_20230902_181529.jpg
File size
1.67 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain
IMG_20230902_181606.jpg
Filename
IMG_20230902_181606.jpg
File size
1.86 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

I would say the RAMDAC is damaged, but since it's integrated, I guess this could be quite problematic to confirm. Have you ever seen something like this?
I think it won't be a disaster if I cannot fix it as it was quite cheap and I have the same card in other variants, but I would like to know if I have overlooked something.
Thanks.

Reply 2 of 6, by dominusprog

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

When the card is installed slightly twist the card, maybe cause of the problem is a broken trace or a solder joint.

Duke_2600.png
A-Trend ATC-1020 V1.1 ❇ Cyrix 6x86 150+ @ 120MHz ❇ 32MiB EDO RAM (8MiBx4) ❇ A-Trend S3 Trio64V2 2MiB
Aztech Pro16 II-3D PnP ❇ 8.4GiB Quantum Fireball ❇ Win95 OSR2 Plus!

Reply 3 of 6, by wbc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I would also suggest checking traces between pin 1 on the VGA connector and pin 168 on the ViRGE/DX chip with a multimeter, including ferrite beads (marked as FBx on the PCB). In your case, check if FB1 and the resistor placed at Q1 are 0 Ohm and R33 (the load resistor) is measuring as 75 Ohm - failure of any of those might be the cause of missing red color. Be sure to also check the resistance between VGA pin 1 and ground - should be 75 Ohm as well 😀

--wbcbz7

Reply 4 of 6, by elcrys

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you all for your hints. Since I don't have my test bed assembled at the moment I went ahead with the suggested measurements and voilà, we have a likely culprit. Traces separately were OK for R, G, B; resistors were OK according to their nominal values, ferrite beads were OK for G, B, but NOK for red channel (infinite resistance)! Also resistance test against ground failed for red, OK for green and blue with around 75 Ohm. Looks like this ferrite bead for red went bad somehow. Is it advisable to short it out as a fix, or should I find some SMD replacement?

Reply 5 of 6, by wbc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
elcrys wrote on 2023-09-08, 18:30:

Looks like this ferrite bead for red went bad somehow. Is it advisable to short it out as a fix, or should I find some SMD replacement?

yeah, you can short ferrite beads out; in fact, this (along with RGB capacitors to ground removed) usually fixes image blurring at higher resolutions on cards with bad RGB filters, but for a testing, it's best to only touch the ferrite beads. Just make sure that all three R/G/B lines have them shorted to have the consistent image across all three channels 😉

--wbcbz7

Reply 6 of 6, by elcrys

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I found a replacement ferrite bead from other faulty card and after a bit of soldering the graphics card is fixed. It turned out the bead was cracked in half (probably due to mechanical stress during VGA cable connecting). Red is back and I wasn't able to detect any other problems with the picture, it's nice and sharp. Again, thank you for your help.