VOGONS

First post, by A001

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've received this Asus GF DDR that at first try didn't show an image at all but after a wash and cleaning, seems to get to windows without an issue, albeit only in safe mode or without the correct driver loaded. HWiNFO32 also recognises the card, in the screenshot pay attention to 16mb AND 64-bit. If I try to load the correct driver, windows won't load with said driver.

Other symptoms are the card sometimes showing 16, sometimes 32 megs of memory. So it's not one of those ULTRA RARE 16 megabyte monsters. Image sometimes gets garbled straight away at boot but other than that there's nothing to complain about in terms out output quality, compared to my other Geforce DDRs.

There are no obvious scratches, dents or bent/loose legs on the PCB/components, and after cleaning, the board seems to be in overall good condition. Caps haven't bulged, 3x Rubycon YXG 6,3V 1000uF and 1x no-name I assume 4V 510uF but that of course won't mean anything as the card runs hot. The fan for sure is dead so there's a 50mm replacement currently in place.

This sounds like a memory issue but is the memory itself bad if it occasionally gets fully recognised? Power delivery or bad joint somewhere (where?) maybe?

842.png
Filename
842.png
File size
611.64 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
844.jpg
Filename
844.jpg
File size
1.85 MiB
Views
File license
843.png
Filename
843.png
File size
1.1 MiB
Views
File license
841.png
Filename
841.png
File size
1012.73 KiB
Views
File license
845.jpg
Filename
845.jpg
File size
1.93 MiB
Views
File license

Reply 1 of 3, by bloodem

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The first thing I'd try would be to check if there are any loose solder joints on the memory IC legs.

1 x PLCC-68 / 2 x PGA132 / 5 x Skt 3 / 9 x Skt 7 / 12 x SS7 / 1 x Skt 8 / 14 x Slot 1 / 5 x Slot A
5 x Skt 370 / 8 x Skt A / 2 x Skt 478 / 2 x Skt 754 / 3 x Skt 939 / 7 x LGA775 / 1 x LGA1155
Current PC: Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Backup PC: Core i7 7700k

Reply 2 of 3, by paradigital

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My GeForce 256 DDR was DoA. When I first revived it the symptoms it exhibited were identical to yours. Identifying itself as 16MB and garbling the display.

There were a few surface mounted caps missing on the rear.

Reply 3 of 3, by A001

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you for the input.

I've tried poking all the pins through with a toothpick. None feel loose. That is interesting the missing surface mount caps - did you get the card back in working order and where were those caps placed?

In this case it sounds more like a bad joint no? I went on the internet and got reference pictures for both the back and front, and couldn't find anything missing on my card.

The excact model it's V6800DDR/32M(TF). Here's a crappy picture of the backside with compression artifacts near the top right memory chip that look like corrosion.

846.jpg
Filename
846.jpg
File size
1.31 MiB
Views
File license