VOGONS

First post, by Shishkebarbarian

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I found one of these recently and have been using it as just a CRT TV for game console testing for now but i am curious about the inputs/specs of the unit. I cannot find anything online sadly... not a manual or service document or anything. Can anyone shed some light on what this thing is capable of (or better yet have any documentation on this thing??) any old magazine reviews/features on this?

I am curious what TTL is, and what resolution it supports for that vga input. what's the difference between VCR and NTSC input? What are the TXT/AUX buttons for? Can it work with my 5150? 486? Yes yes i should just test it but my test bench is overflowing right now with other projects and it's in my game room and i guess i just would like some info before i fry it or something.

should i even be using this without a full recap? it seems to work and look great with a SNES.

thanks everyone.

yGh6d7R.jpg

j53ae2B.jpg

Reply 1 of 4, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

"TTL" on this monitor should be digital RGBI with NTSC-like timings, so that input could be used with CGA, PCjr, Tandy 1000, EGA (set for 200-line operation), Commodore 128 and the likes. At the time this was referred to as "direct-drive" or "IBM-type" RGB. Of course, on CGA/PCjr and some Tandys you also have composite output, so this monitor lets you use them either way... much like certain models of the Philips/Commodore 1084S.

More info in this review: https://archive.org/details/inCider_85-10/page/n21/mode/1up. Not a very positive one, but it looks like a very nice monitor regardless - would be cool to see some photos of it in action. I wouldn't recap unless you're experiencing definite issues or the caps visibly look bad, but that's just me.

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 2 of 4, by Shishkebarbarian

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

thanks so much for the reply and extra info, i am shocked how obscure this monitor is considering AMDEK was such a prolific manufacturer. so this will work with a 5150 with a color graphics card? i haven't popped it opened but i havent noticed any issues with it whatsoever, colors are bright and accurate, no issues with the video at all. I only used it with a SNES so far and it looks great. i attached a photo but it doesnt really do it justice. i have tweaked the colors with all the controls available and it looks like how i expect the SNES to look. this is an old pic and i mightve tweaked the image since but last i played the colors were accurate

https://imgur.com/gallery/UwRVBmD

you gave me a great idea to search archive for old coverage of this release, i hadn't thought of that. thanks! i found another good blurb on it: https://archive.org/details/Creative_Computin … ge/n59/mode/2up

VileR wrote on 2023-10-04, 12:56:

"TTL" on this monitor should be digital RGBI with NTSC-like timings, so that input could be used with CGA, PCjr, Tandy 1000, EGA (set for 200-line operation), Commodore 128 and the likes. At the time this was referred to as "direct-drive" or "IBM-type" RGB. Of course, on CGA/PCjr and some Tandys you also have composite output, so this monitor lets you use them either way... much like certain models of the Philips/Commodore 1084S.

More info in this review: https://archive.org/details/inCider_85-10/page/n21/mode/1up. Not a very positive one, but it looks like a very nice monitor regardless - would be cool to see some photos of it in action. I wouldn't recap unless you're experiencing definite issues or the caps visibly look bad, but that's just me.

Reply 3 of 4, by giantclam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I wouldn't recap unless you're experiencing definite issues or the caps visibly look bad, but that's just me.

You may never visibly spot that the safety capacitor in the horizontal oscillator circuit is bad ~ if it goes bad you will blow the HOT transistor or the flyback transformer itself.

Reply 4 of 4, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Shishkebarbarian wrote on 2023-10-17, 06:54:

so this will work with a 5150 with a color graphics card?

Sure. The IBM Color Graphics Adapter has an RCA jack that outputs the same type of signal as the SNES does: NTSC composite color video. The IBM Color Graphics Adapter also outputs a TTL-level RGBI signal. I would connect a CGA card (or a clone card) using both ways, so that you can have "high quality" 80 column color text as well as run games with composite artifact color generation. For high-res, you need to put the switch into "TTL" (the monitor will use the 9-pin DSUB connection), for composite artifact colors, you need to put the switch into "NTSC" mode (the monitor will use the RCA cable). NTSC mode is required for 8088MPH to work great. Area5150 is meant for TTL/RGB mode. Your monitor can be used for both demos, which is perfect.