VOGONS

First post, by Am386DX-40

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok so long story short, I was offered a "Radeon 9700 Pro" at a ridiculously cheap price and it seemed like winning the lottery at first, but calmness prevailed and I asked pictures of the card first and the pics attached are what I got.

So that's not a "real" 9700 pro, even if the sticker says so. The real 9700 was a 128mb card with 256 bit bus, this is backwards. Also the layout is completely different (this one even has a molex connector, or so it seems), so it might be one of those chinese knockoffs with swapped bios, or I don't know what... I've been searching for pictures trying to find a similar card but couldn't. It could even be an nvidia card for all I know. So this is why I'm here, maybe someone knows the card or can identify it by the capacitors and inductors layout which is quite strange.

Attachments

Reply 1 of 13, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

"ridiculously cheap price"

Don't be a pansy. Go for it. YOLO.

I love mystery, and sometimes the only way to find out is to fuck around.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 2 of 13, by Am386DX-40

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
luckybob wrote on 2023-10-11, 15:05:

"ridiculously cheap price"

Don't be a pansy. Go for it. YOLO.

I love mystery, and sometimes the only way to find out is to fuck around.

Yeah, but shipping on the other hand is not THAT cheap so it kinda balances out 🤣

Reply 3 of 13, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Looks more like some 9800SE models.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 4 of 13, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Radeon 9X00 cards having cut down memory interfaces is not unusual. It's unlikely to be a knockoff, and more likely to be an OEM card supplied from Inno3D, Palit, Club or some other. The cheap-o capacitors (relative to polymer) are also a giveaway. Palit loves electrolytic as cost-saving substitutions. If you can get a better look at the memory chips, I wonder if they are 250/500MHz TSOP? Another OEM cost-saver giveaway.

Reply 5 of 13, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's essentially just a mislabeled Radeon 9500 Pro. Some of these cards actually had decent Hynix 3.3ns memory which is capable to work at 650-700 Mhz.

Last edited by The Serpent Rider on 2023-10-11, 18:44. Edited 1 time in total.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 7 of 13, by paradigital

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2023-10-11, 18:43:

That's essentially just a mislabeled Radeon 9500 Pro.

I’m not sure of that. Most 9500 Pros were identical to their 9700 Pro counterparts.

Last edited by paradigital on 2023-10-11, 18:47. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 8 of 13, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Mobility 9700 = desktop Radeon 9600. And that's some leftovers R300 chip shoved on a PCB from Radeon 9800 SE. Sadly, not significantly faster than Radeon 9600XT, due to GPU clock difference, while lacking universal AGP connector.

Reply 10 of 13, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Am386DX-40 wrote on 2023-10-11, 18:58:

I told the guy to boot up a machine with this card and run GPU-Z and he agreed, he's also curious. We'll see what we get when he can do that.

see, that's no fun. 🙁

if its anything interesting, its suddenly going to cost more and you've lost out. Granted if its actually something boring, and or broken, you can say you won...

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 12 of 13, by dormcat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
paradigital wrote on 2023-10-11, 18:44:

Pretty sure the Mobility 9700 was available as 256MB/128-bit configuration.

I wonder if it’s some kind of laptop GPU shoved on an AGP card.

That's my guess as well. R3_0 chips were built with 150nm lithography and required external 4-pin power; RV3_0 chips were built with 130nm lithography, were a bit slower than R3_0 chips, but required no external power and produced less heat.

Reply 13 of 13, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
luckybob wrote on 2023-10-11, 19:11:

if its anything interesting

It isn't in any scenario, because it's a gimped 128-bit memory bus card.