VOGONS

First post, by Dracolich

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, guys, my Win95c machine has been working great with anything using D3D and 3Dfx and so I haven't noticed this until trying something that uses OpenGL. See the attached image.

At first OGL programs just popped an error and didn't start at all, and the 3D screensaver previews would be a placeholder image. So I removed my video and voodoo cards from Device Manager, then went into C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM and removed the files for all of the video cards I've used on this machine - using the .inf files as reference - then removed the .inf files as well. I reinstalled the forceware 45.23 for the TNT2, then the voodoo driver (Maxi Gamer 3D). Then I got an error that glu32.dll could not be loaded because of a symbol in opengl32.dll. So I it with the original opengl32.dll from the Win95 .cab files and now this is where I am stuck.

It's like having the desktop squished and having mirrored displays on the same monitor. It still functions and both halves show the same movement at the same time. I can fix the display without restarting Windows by changing a display setting such as resolution or color depth; and I can launch D3D and 3Dfx stuff as long as I keep the Display Properties set to 16-bit color. My only idea was vsync in the nvidia settings, so I tried changing it from on to off but that didn't help.

Attachments

Reply 1 of 2, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hello.

The Voodoo Graphics card doesn't have any official OpenGL support and only has MiniGL drivers that should only be put in the game directory. For the nVidia TNT2, try installing a driver older than the ForceWare 45.23. Note that the nVidia drivers in most cases have to be uninstalled thru "Add/Remove Programs".

Lastly, never manually delete files from C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM unless you know what you're really doing!

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 2 of 2, by Dracolich

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks, Gmlb256, that was it! I removed the 45.23 from Control Panel and got 2.08 (a 1999 version) from Phil's Computer Lab site. I must have had that version, or the 3.68, before OGL broke because the tabs in Display Properties are same as before. A .zip of 2.x or 3.x was missing from my backups, and that's fixed now as well 😁