VOGONS

First post, by Mattaroo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I recently purchased a Gateway Essential 500 from eBay to make my first Windows 98 project box. Which worked perfectly fine, until I attempted to replace the NVIDIA Vanta 8 MB that it came with, with an FX 5200 128 MB that was laying around in an XP machine that I had tested to work with that machine. That being said, when I installed and connected it through VGA, there was no input/display on the monitor and the motherboard during POST gave me one long beep, followed by two short beeps, seeming to be a VGA output error. After that, I replaced the 5200 with the Vanta that was initially in there, only to get the same results. I checked the motherboard and AGP slot for any physical damage which I could not find any. After attempting numerous reseatings of the Vanta, I cleaned the connectors on it with isopropyl and cleaned the board with compressed air to no avail. I have been planning on getting a PCI card, but want to see if there is anything else I could do or at least know for sure that the AGP slot is damaged. Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Gateway Essential 500
RAM: 128 MB
GPU: NVIDIA Vanta 8MB
Audio: Sound Blaster Live! CT4780
HDD: IDE to microSD - 128 GB
PSU: 200 W

Reply 1 of 1, by midicollector

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Could be cracked solder joints on the agp slot, or possibly some problem with the actual agp connector thing itself. Might not be that, but that’s my first guess. If you try a pci card and still have the same issue then you’ll know it’s not the agp slot. If it is the agp slot, I imagine you could desolder and replace it if you had to.