VOGONS

First post, by madcat1990

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all,

First off, thank you all for the documentation you've given me on this machine!
I've already done the 12V mod, installed a 2GB CF card, and am ready to run some Doom/Win98 goodness.

Except... I have a problem.

Due to space constraints, I can only use this on my HDMI-only display. Now, I thought "Hey, get a VGA2HDMI adapter! Problem solved!"

Except, it wasn't. These normal adapters apparently only do 640x480@60 and above, 320x200@70 or any other weird ones from DOS don't work.

So I come to you, Vogons, hoping you can help me find something in Canada I can buy that can either adapt the signal on the cheap <$50. If adapting isn't going to be doable, I could also replace the ALS4000 sound card with a GPU but keep in mind this thing is small... I'll need a card that can more easily do digital output, is dos/cga/ega compatible, and win98 dx9 compatible too...

I'll lose my ALS4000, but I can at least have video, and SBEMU should do the job with the audio (I Hope).

Heck, I'm down to some sort of EEPROM solution for this being done in software...

Any suggestions are welcome!

Thank you!

Reply 2 of 2, by madcat1990

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It is of some interest, certainly gave me some ideas, but as it stands, those adapters they mention are either unobtainium as they're fairly old or expensive, links are down, or of stores that don't ship to Canada.

I've seen some of the VGA->HDMI adapters they have there, but reviews say things like BIOS/MSDOS don't work, which tells me 720x400 won't work.

So as it stands, I'm also considering a VGA Capture card.

I have seen this page: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003188605 … 3e5ffRjYQh&mp=1

And there's a review saying it does support 720x400@70, but I've already bought 2 different adapters that didn't work (Only 480p and above), and I asked the supplier for more info on the device to make sure...