VOGONS

First post, by sofakng

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Does anybody have, or know of a replacement, PCI bracket for the Voodoo 1 card? (Diamond Multimedia)

I've purchased a card from a fellow Vogons user (thank you so much!!!) but it has a broken bracket.

I've searched and can't find any replacements but maybe somebody has a defective card or knows of a spare part that is compatible?

Reply 3 of 6, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As far as I'm aware they are all identical for the Voodoo 1 and 2, including the Diamond Monster cards.

The only exception to this is the few cards that used custom pass-through cables like the Miro and Canopus cards. I had to design up a fresh 3D printed bracket for my Miro Hiscore 2

I'm curious to know what the UK made kit brackets look like and how they were made, I guess just regular blanks cut with some CNC.

Reply 5 of 6, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I made a 3d printed one the other day for the one of the 3DFX Voodoo 1 reference card I bought for parts, which didn't come with one:

3d printed 3dfx bracket (1).JPG
Filename
3d printed 3dfx bracket (1).JPG
File size
377.34 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
3d printed 3dfx bracket (2).JPG
Filename
3d printed 3dfx bracket (2).JPG
File size
170.03 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

I intend to share it but haven't done so yet.

Consider as well, those metal brackets are newly made 'one-off' replacement parts for a computer peripheral that went out of production ~25 years ago. They're metal parts which isn't cheap to machine and they're being made on such small scale that there are no economies of scale yet. I think the price is fair and they look good 😀

Reply 6 of 6, by sofakng

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Your design looks great! Unfortunately my 3D printer is in storage so even if you shared the design I wouldn't be able to print it.

I agree that the price doesn't seem too bad. It's 10 GBP plus shipping so part of $20 USD is exchange rate and shipping. I don't think the seller is making a killing or anything on these 😀