VOGONS

First post, by alexclaudiu2003

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, I installed Streets of SimCity on a Pentium 4 system with Windows Me and the VooDoo2 video card and the surprise was that Streets of SimCity jerks very much even though it has support for 3dfx video cards.
sorry for my bad english

Reply 2 of 5, by alexclaudiu2003

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
feda wrote on 2023-11-14, 21:25:

Did you also install the patch that is required for Voodoo2 support?

I don't know about this patch, can you give me a link?

Reply 4 of 5, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That patch wasn't for the Voodoo2 but enables the game to work on the Rush and the Voodoo Banshee+3 - Voodoo2 works with Streets out of the box. It won't do anything about the poor performance, that's eternal and no 3dfx accelerator can hope to fix it.

Also you really don't want a high framerate in this game if you expect to play it. I'd also suggest CPU throttling and the software renderer.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 5 of 5, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote on 2023-11-15, 01:04:

Also you really don't want a high framerate in this game if you expect to play it. I'd also suggest CPU throttling and the software renderer.

There is an easy way to mitigate it by adding and setting the FX_GLIDE_SWAPINTERVAL environment variable to 2, which causes the screen to swap every two vsyncs, effectively capping the framerate to the half of the screen refresh rate.

I'm not familiar with that game, but it helped me with Pandemonium! which runs like crazy when the framerate is higher than 30 FPS.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS