VOGONS

First post, by Shadzilla

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've got a pair of Voodoo 2 cards on the way for an SLI setup, so now I need to choose a 2D card to go with them. I'm trying to decide between S3 Virge and Matrox G200. The former ticks the nostalgia box (used to have one), but the latter is useful because it's AGP so I could use the setup with a baby AT board I already have that is a bit lacking on PCI slots (although I'm planning on using a different Slot 1 440BX platform for the SLI build anyway).

So firstly - any preferances on the above two options for 2D card?

Secondly - and this is the silly question part - how does the OS/game know which card to use in game, for D3D/OpenGL? This feels like an especially relevant question in the case of the G200 which is a reasonable 3D card in its own right, I think. Obviously for Glide games the V2s will kick in, but how does it work otherwise?

Thanks! 😁

Reply 1 of 8, by technokater

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Personally, I'd go with the Matrox because that's the one I had 😁

Regarding your Direct3D question: before creating the D3D device, the game can query the available devices. So if the game is smart enough, they offer the option to select the device. Otherwise the game will use the default device. I've found a registry key that can set this default, but I'm not sure from which version on this is supported. The key is located at

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\DirectX\UserGpuPreferences

For OpenGL it is similar, so the application can enumerate the available devices and chose one, or use the default device.

Reply 2 of 8, by Shadzilla

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Got it, that makes sense, thanks. I'd completely forgot it was fairly common for games to to give the user the option to select an adapter. I think I'll go with the G200, it seems to be very highly regarded as a companion for Voodoo 2 setups.

Reply 3 of 8, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Firstly, most people would prefer the Matrox for it's consistently better image quality. The S3 is not consistent between its manufacturers. I have 2 Trio3D, basically the AGP version of the Virge, and one of them has good image quality, the other is much worse. Also with the Matrox you save one of your limited number of PCI slots. If AGP is an option, I'd choose AGP.

Secondly, the G200 is a competent 3D accelerator by Matrox standards for the time, but comparing to the V2-SLI, you won't benefit from it. You'd need something a lot better for it to really matter. At least Geforce/Radeon level.

Last edited by RandomStranger on 2023-11-15, 11:23. Edited 1 time in total.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 5 of 8, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For OpenGL games, they'd either have to be explicitly coded to be voodoo1/2 aware and most of that's from checking if a 3dfxogl.dll o r3dfxvgl.dll exists in windows/system first, and load that for the ICD, or they'd have a MiniGL wrapper (For the earlier ones) provided for convenience and not try to autodetect at all. Otherwise it'll just use OpenGL32.dll which'll be rendered in software if the host video card isn't providing an ICD (which G200 and ViRGE are both guilty for not doing)

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 6 of 8, by Shadzilla

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for the technical explanation! It's great to be learning more about this. I only had a Banshee back in the day so never encountered any of this, apart from the MiniGL wrapper. I'm re-playing Half-Life at the moment as it happens, again using a Banshee (with a K6-2 500, same setup as I first played HL on at the time, performance is... not as good as I remember it!), but that's using at MiniGL wrapper in the game.

Presumably the MiniGL wrapper is translating OpenGL calls to Glide?

Reply 7 of 8, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Presumably the MiniGL wrapper is translating OpenGL calls to Glide?

Technically, both early MiniGL and OpenGL ICD for 3dfx are classified as Glide wrappers. MiniGLs are application specific.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 8 of 8, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

MiniGL's more of a quake-specific stopgap before the need for a proper actually-OpenGL-compliant driver and the importance of that sharply raised when Q3Test rolled around (public test version of Quake3 from April 1999 on gave a rude awakening).

apsosig.png
long live PCem