VOGONS

First post, by WarhammerDarkOmen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

All information here:

https://forum.dark-omen.org/singleplayer/help … 41-t1653.0.html

Any idea's? I'm hoping some legend here can work it out, i made this setup for dark omen and it refuses to work 🙁

Nostalgia rig: AMD Athlon 800Mhz | Gigabyte GA-7IXE4 | Geforce 2 MX400 AGP | Sound Blaster AWE64 | 256MB RAM | Windows 98 SE

Reply 1 of 6, by chuky

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Your link is wrong, the website has an old certificate so most browsers won't accept it with https in the address. The video inside the thread is too old so it's not available.
The link is this one http://forum.dark-omen.org/singleplayer/help- … 41-t1653.0.html

You say the screen is flickering in Warhammer Dark Omen with a Pentium M / 256MB ram / ATI Radeon 7500 AGP. You can try running dxdiag and see if it says anything useful. On the screenshot with the crash in the ati property page, there's a message about directx 5, while your graphics card is a directx 7 card. You could try reinstalling directx or installing at least directx 7.

You have an lcd screen so it's not an issue with the refresh rate. It's not actually flickering, it's something with the rendering because of drivers or the graphics card.

Is there a native directx version of the game or is it only 3dfx/glide ? If there's a native one you should use it, not the 3dfx version. If you want to use Dgvoodoo, use Dgvoodoo 2 not 1, but I think you need a recent version of directx so you'd have the same kind of issue with an old directx.

Reply 2 of 6, by WarhammerDarkOmen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes i agree it's definetly driver related as i manually set in the registry 640x480 on all colour modes to use 100Hz as requested and it made no difference. I don't really know much about ATI i usually always go Nvidia and i had no problems when i went that route.
The game is native DX5 yes, 3DFX works but on very select cards. I've installed DX5, no help. It's really annoying.

Nostalgia rig: AMD Athlon 800Mhz | Gigabyte GA-7IXE4 | Geforce 2 MX400 AGP | Sound Blaster AWE64 | 256MB RAM | Windows 98 SE

Reply 4 of 6, by WarhammerDarkOmen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just had a thought... I used a Windows 98 update pack on it, this in stalled Direct X 9... could this be a problem since my card is up to 7 only?

Reply 5 of 6, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
chuky wrote on 2023-11-23, 20:31:

The ATI Radeon 7500 AGP didn't exist when Directx 5 came out. It's a Directx 7 card, you should install Directx 7. Older games will still work with it.

This. Drivers for video cards have a minimum DirectX version requirement, otherwise games that uses DirectDraw or D3D wouldn't work.

Sticking with older DirectX runtime libraries is a crappy suggestion, the sole exception being when there are buggy drivers installed.

WarhammerDarkOmen wrote on 2023-11-23, 20:51:

I just had a thought... I used a Windows 98 update pack on it, this in stalled Direct X 9... could this be a problem since my card is up to 7 only?

No. Since DX8, there are DLLs for each version and shouldn't affect older ones. And DX9 supports hardware with DX7 feature level.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 6 of 6, by WarhammerDarkOmen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hmmm ok, I did think that was the case. I'm a little stumped at this point. Does anyone have a driver version recommendation for this? I've tried loads of them but none fix the particular issue in Dark Omen.

I'm going to use a utility to remove all the drivers that i've installed (i did uninstall but i bet there is lingering bits) and then install a driver which hopefully someone feels is best for win98se/ATI Mobility 7500