VOGONS

First post, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've just acquired a LG Flatron T710B and I already have a Samsung SyncMaster 753S.
Unlucky it seems that the tech specs are quite foggy, I can't really find the max refresh rate for samsung nor for the LG.
Which one would be better?

On the 19 inches side I can choose between: NEC MultiSync 95F and LG Flatron 915FT plus, again for which one should I go?

Thank you in advance.

Reply 1 of 9, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You want to see which one has better image after all these years. Image quality is the most important to me. I use 17" for DOS and 21" for Windows. 19" is in the middle but too big for DOS in my opinion. NEC is the favorite in 19" size.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 2 of 9, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well the LG 17 inches is new old stock, still in his original box. The Samsung is used. That being said I was curious to check the various refresh rates because they are important.
Both the 19 inches instead are used.
I'd love to find a 21 crt but apparently they are very rare even my last crt was a 19 inches but it had great refresh rates.

Reply 3 of 9, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Nemo1985 wrote on 2023-11-23, 11:10:

Well the LG 17 inches is new old stock, still in his original box. The Samsung is used. That being said I was curious to check the various refresh rates because they are important.

Try googling monitor model + manual.

Many of the user manuals are still available on websites which specifically host those. Sometimes, you can also find a service manual there, if you're lucky. Anyway, the monitor's manual should have all the relevant refresh rate info.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 4 of 9, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2023-11-23, 11:20:
Nemo1985 wrote on 2023-11-23, 11:10:

Try googling monitor model + manual.

Many of the user manuals are still available on websites which specifically host those. Sometimes, you can also find a service manual there, if you're lucky. Anyway, the monitor's manual should have all the relevant refresh rate info.

Thank you I've tried the manuals but apparently only the vesa resolutions are stated.
Is there a program that I can use to check the various refresh rates?

Reply 5 of 9, by Vynix

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Nemo1985 wrote on 2023-11-23, 11:27:

Thank you I've tried the manuals but apparently only the vesa resolutions are stated.
Is there a program that I can use to check the various refresh rates?

This probably will sound dumb but since it's a LG, try and send a higher than expected resolution, your monitor should show a "OUT OF RANGE" message along with its maximum scanrates.. At least that's how it works on my LG CRT monitor..

Proud owner of a Shuttle HOT-555A 430VX motherboard and two wonderful retro laptops, namely a Compaq Armada 1700 [nonfunctional] and a HP Omnibook XE3-GC [fully working :p]

Reply 6 of 9, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sometimes the range is shown in the monitor menu too.

17" monitors often top out at 65kHz (good for 1400x1050@60Hz), but I have seen some that go to 75kHz (1600x1200@60Hz).
Larger ones tend to have higher range, That 19" should be around 90kHz and the NEC says it goes to 96kHz which is pretty good and LG should go to 110kHz which is even better. Larger ones often are 110kHz and beyond.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 7 of 9, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tiido wrote on 2023-11-23, 22:00:

Sometimes the range is shown in the monitor menu too.

17" monitors often top out at 65kHz (good for 1400x1050@60Hz), but I have seen some that go to 75kHz (1600x1200@60Hz).
Larger ones tend to have higher range, That 19" should be around 90kHz and the NEC says it goes to 96kHz which is pretty good and LG should go to 110kHz which is even better. Larger ones often are 110kHz and beyond.

I see, thank you Tiido. I will get both the 19. I'm still undecided if to unpack the 17 inches.

Reply 8 of 9, by midicollector

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think it really comes down to which one looks better after all this time. The same CRT from the same manufacturer can look totally different after all these years, and I've seen lower quality brands with better image than higher quality brands.

If it were me, I'd probably try the new old stock first since it's likely to have the least number of hours, but the capacitors and other things could still have gone wrong over the years. I have a very large like-new CRT TV with excellent image quality, but it has geometry issues just from sitting for so long.

You might just have to try each one and see which one you like.

Reply 9 of 9, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Depends on your use case, most of my life was on sub 15” CRTs, they work fine for dos.

Now years later I would like a tweener 19” + 2048x1536 monitor so I can have modern use, TV, streaming and dos applications.

Very disappointed how hard they are to find now, my college tossed a bunch of Gateway Destinations over a decade ago, would love to have one of those now.