VOGONS

First post, by paradigital

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So, during the initial in-period reviews of this card, it was touted that the card was an overclocking behemoth, and that the limiting factor was the 300W envelope that couldn't be broken by the OEM (ATI) to maintain compliance with PCIe specs. The card was capable of dissipating 400W in it's vapour-chamber cooling system, and originally the card would have had the "ATI Overvolt Tool" available. It was supposedly pulled relatively early on due to people frying cards with inadequate cooling, but I really want to try the tool for myself, however the handful of links I can find are dead.

A few people recommended the AMD GPU OVERCLOCK TOOL as a replacement, but this doesn't seem to support changing the memory voltage of the 5970.

Has anyone got a copy of this elusive software? Wayback archive doesn't 🙁

overvolt.png
Filename
overvolt.png
File size
17.45 KiB
Views
File comment
ATI Overvolt Tool (HD5970)
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 1 of 8, by supercordo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You can thank me later. I found it the other day after about 5 hours of searching for it. Dont melt your power supply. I think i requires windows vista or 7.

Attachments

Reply 2 of 8, by paradigital

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
supercordo wrote on 2023-12-09, 03:16:

You can thank me later. I found it the other day after about 5 hours of searching for it. Dont melt your power supply. I think i requires windows vista or 7.

What a hero! Many thanks!

And yes, I’m trying 7 😉

Reply 5 of 8, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

400 is 400 watts. Regardless of lithography. That's not something you want to do with stock air cooler though. Especially with two cards, sitting in close proximity with each other.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 6 of 8, by paradigital

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2023-12-09, 19:17:

400 is 400 watts. Regardless of lithography. That's not something you want to do with stock air cooler though. Especially with two cards, sitting in close proximity with each other.

It’s fine. With the fans manually set to 100%, with additional 120mm both at the rear and front of the cards, in an open test bench, and only running for 5-10 minutes at a time, they never get that hot looking at GPUz logging.

Due to the motherboard I’m using they are also a slot apart, so both cards have adequate intake spacing.

Reply 7 of 8, by DrAnthony

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2023-12-09, 19:17:

Well as a sheer unit of power of course it's going to be the same. My point is that on a less dense process you've got less transistors switching so that's more power per transistor (which isn't quite power density as a newer node will pack more power per unit area). It's the same reason why don't see a 100 watt draw from a cranked up 386 and why those Fermi GeForce cards were viewed as absolute flamethrowers at the time even if they seem fairly typical for a current card. 400 watts was HUGE for the time.