VOGONS

First post, by Sephiroth, The Great

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Is there a difference between those 2 in compatibility with older games under Windows 9x?
I want 2 answers:
1. Including DOS games.
2. Excluding DOS games.

Reply 1 of 4, by Trashbytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nope, both will run pretty much anything you throw at them, IIRC and I could be wrong but it wasn't till the 6000 series that things changed for compatibility with nVidia dropping a few minor things. Stick to older drivers as drivers will affect compatibility far more than these two cards will.

As for DOS both cards have the same 2D engine so will both run DOS games the same, there is a chart out there that lists DOS compatibility with GPUs, might be worth hunting it down and looking there for what issues these cards have.

https://gona.mactar.hu/DOS_TESTS/ <--- not sure if its the most current

Reply 2 of 4, by elszgensa

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The only thing that comes to mind is that the first Splinter Cell game was written very closely to the GF3 hardware and may have issues on a GF4 (don't remember any details, please look into that by yourself if interested). Being from 2002 this isn't exactly an "older Win9x game" though... Can't think of anything else.

Reply 3 of 4, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
elszgensa wrote on 2023-12-23, 19:48:

The only thing that comes to mind is that the first Splinter Cell game was written very closely to the GF3 hardware and may have issues on a GF4 (don't remember any details, please look into that by yourself if interested).

Nope, Splinter Cell works perfectly on GeForce 4 Ti cards. However, on GeForce FX cards, it does have some very minor cosmetic issues (shiny texture glitch) but that's only encountered in a couple of areas and doesn't affect the gameplay. Phil has a very informative video on that subject.

It's GeForce 6 and newer cards that break Splinter Cell's lighting and shadows.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 4 of 4, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

In DOS, compatibility for GeForce3 and GeForce4 cards are nearly the same except whether the VBIOS includes the EGA 8x14 font or not. The only real problem that I can think of is that there are many variants with larger VIBIOS (up to 64 KB), giving you less space for UMB and/or the EMS page block.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS