VOGONS

First post, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So, I'm about to revive an Asus P2B-DS to glory. I'm starting with a W98SE installation before dual booting either 2000 or XP.

But, after I install the driver for the G400 in Windows 98se, the screen goes into artifacts. Not a normal image with artifacts on top, but artifacts only. Also it seems unresponsive, I don't see any cursor movement and no reaction to ALT-F4 either. Starting in safe mode, uninstalling driver makes it back to working, but 640x480 only.

I've tried both 6.83.017 and 6.82.016 drivers from vogondrivers. My first thought was missing Intel inf for the BX chipset, but that made no difference. I even tried yet another clean install, inf before Matrox driver, but still no luck.

I don't suspect it to be the card's BIOS being corrupted? It usually manifests with no image in text mode, or am I wrong and would it be worth a try to recover the BIOS?

The G400 ran 3DMark 2001 fine a few days ago on an Intel 815 board, and has also run on my Intel SE440BX-2 board very recently, so I don't suspect a defective card per se ..

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 1 of 6, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Try older drivers. You can start with the official G400 driver CD and go up from there.

I think 5.52 drivers worked best for me back when I was testing my own G400, though that was on a Socket A motherboard.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 2 of 6, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2024-01-06, 10:05:

Try older drivers. You can start with the official G400 driver CD and go up from there.

I think 5.52 drivers worked best for me back when I was testing my own G400, though that was on a Socket A motherboard.

Thanks, I'll try that 😀

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 3 of 6, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No luck ... I assume that it won't make sense to install DirectX before display driver?

Reply 4 of 6, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
H3nrik V! wrote on 2024-01-06, 16:20:

No luck ... I assume that it won't make sense to install DirectX before display driver?

It shouldn't make much difference, but doesn't hurt to try.

However, since you're getting artifacts with multiple driver versions, it might be a hardware issue. Maybe a bad memory chip or a cracked solder joint somewhere else.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 5 of 6, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2024-01-06, 16:42:
H3nrik V! wrote on 2024-01-06, 16:20:

It shouldn't make much difference, but doesn't hurt to try.

However, since you're getting artifacts with multiple driver versions, it might be a hardware issue. Maybe a bad memory chip or a cracked solder joint somewhere else.

Yeah, I'm biased to think that too, but the GPU worked a couple of days ago ... But yeah, has been out of boards etc.

Reply 6 of 6, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So, because I'm an idiot, I tried 2 things simultaneously 🤣

Reseated and flexed the PCB of the GPU, at the same time updating to even newer Intel INF updates ... Now - working and running 1280x1024 and 32 Bit color ...