VOGONS

First post, by tobiasrieper

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Soul Reaver 2, the blending is odd. Is this normal? As you can see bottom left, on the platform that Raziel is standing on? Using the latest Voodoo drivers. Maybe because it's only 16 bit colours?
Just seems really apparent on this game. Unreal looks great so Does HL and Deus Ex.

Attachments

Reply 1 of 4, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

high brightness/gamma makes the banded dark colors come out easier. This would be worse on V1/V2 as the gamma ramp clamps off the darkest colors (which screenshots can't capture)

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 3 of 4, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
tobiasrieper wrote on 2024-01-15, 17:10:

Soul Reaver 2, the blending is odd. Is this normal? As you can see bottom left, on the platform that Raziel is standing on? Using the latest Voodoo drivers. Maybe because it's only 16 bit colours?
Just seems really apparent on this game. Unreal looks great so Does HL and Deus Ex.

Looks like a normal 16-bit color depth banding issue to me..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 4 of 4, by tobiasrieper

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
appiah4 wrote on 2024-01-18, 10:19:
tobiasrieper wrote on 2024-01-15, 17:10:

Looks like a normal 16-bit color depth banding issue to me..

OK cool! I have no 32 bit card to compare....may get a Voodoo 4500! Or put a 32bit capable card in PCI slot.