VOGONS

First post, by tobiasrieper

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey guys hopefully someone can help me, I've seen similar threads on the matter but can't seem to find a resolution. No matter what I've tried the 3dfx splash screen will not show when using Glide API games, Tomb Raider (glide version), Deus Ex, Unreal, Heretic 2. This is in Windows 98 SE.

I used the original drivers for the Voodoo 3 V.1.00.00 as well as the latest drivers and others.
In 3dfx tools I made sure disable splash screen was unchecked and also made sure the registry entry value for FX_GLIDE_NO_SPLASH was 0, blank or the key completely removed.

Any ideas? I know it seeks trivial but it's driving me nuts.

Reply 1 of 9, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Heretic II is an OpenGL game. Deus Ex and Unreal share the same engine, and I've never seen the splash screen show up with those games. Tomb Raider; I've only seen it with a Voodoo 1, but perhaps it would show up with a Voodoo 2?

Try playing Turok - you will see the splash screen on that game no matter the 3dfx card - if not, then you have problems.

Reply 2 of 9, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Meatball wrote on 2024-01-18, 15:08:

Heretic II is an OpenGL game.

Been a while since I last tried these games on a Voodoo card, but I think the splash screen does show up in GLQuake if you use MiniGL instead of the standard OpenGL renderer.

EDIT - splash screen works in GLQuake when using MiniGL 1.48 or older.

Last edited by Joseph_Joestar on 2024-01-19, 11:40. Edited 1 time in total.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 4 of 9, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

All UnrealEngine games explicitly bypass the splash screen for GlideDrv. idTech 2 and 3 games also bypass the splash screen. For Direct3D games there's not a splash screen at all.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 6 of 9, by tobiasrieper

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for your input everybody. The above games I'm making sure they all run in Glide. Ahh right about the Unreal that makes sense. Heretic II runs in glide nicely. As long as there's nout wrong with the Voodoo. I have not got Turok unfortunately 🙁 it's pretty rare on ebay PC version.

Reply 8 of 9, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I just tried it with GLQuake on my Voodoo 3 and it does work, but you need to use MiniGL 1.48 or older.

It seems that newer versions of MiniGL remove the 3DFX splash screen in that game.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi