VOGONS

First post, by Sephiroth, The Great

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

As the title says, the card seem to only output analog signal. I connected DVI out from this GPU to DVI to HDMI connector to HDMI cable to LG OLED C1 and got no signal at all. The cables and converter is fine I got absolutely no problem when I connected this way GeForce FX 5900XT and GeForce 6800. But for some reason GeForce4 Ti 4200 with 8x AGP (NV28) does not want to work this way. Does this GPU's DVI only transfers analog signal? When connected to old CRT monitor both GPU outputs VGA and DVI (though DVI to VGA converter) worked fine. So GPU works. Both outputs work. Both transferred analog signal correctly. But it does not send digital signal through DVI out or what?

Last edited by Sephiroth, The Great on 2024-01-21, 12:16. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 18, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I currently have a GeForce 4 Ti4200 connected to an 42" LCD TV using a simple DVI to HDMI adapter. Works fine, no issues whatsoever.

My TV is pretty old though. It's a 1080p model from 2014 or so.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 5 of 18, by Imperious

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Maybe try it with a LCD monitor, not a tv, could be a compatibility issue.

When You say You tried with a DVI to VGA converter, are You talking about an actual powered converter box or just one of those
dvi to vga adaptors that used to come with the video cards, as they just route the 4 pin analog signal in the dvi connector to the vga output.

Atari 2600, TI994a, Vic20, c64, ZX Spectrum 128, Amstrad CPC464, Atari 65XE, Commodore Plus/4, Amiga 500
PC's from XT 8088, 486, Pentium MMX, K6, Athlon, P3, P4, 775, to current Ryzen 5600x.

Reply 6 of 18, by Sephiroth, The Great

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Imperious wrote on 2024-01-21, 12:53:

Maybe try it with a LCD monitor, not a tv, could be a compatibility issue.

When You say You tried with a DVI to VGA converter, are You talking about an actual powered converter box or just one of those
dvi to vga adaptors that used to come with the video cards, as they just route the 4 pin analog signal in the dvi connector to the vga output.

The second option: Adapter.

Reply 7 of 18, by Sephiroth, The Great

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So why GeForce 5900XT and GeForce 6800LE work no problem when I connect them to TV with this simple DVI to HDMI adapter but GeForce4 Ti does not? Seems like GeForce4 Ti's DVI output must be different than in those GPUs somehow. My guess is that it could not send digital signal? Is that possible? Or is it something else? Did anyone had similar experience/problem? A lot of GeForce4 Tis don't even have DVI outs so do those models do not send digital signal? If yes, maybe this is one of those models but they only added DVI out to it? Is that possible?

Reply 8 of 18, by Imperious

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You wouldn't have a DVI port on it if there was no Digital video out. is there no LCD monitor You can try?
I Assume You've tried 1920x1080 60hz as that would be the most compatible.
Either it's a compatibility problem or the Digital video out on the video card is dead.

Atari 2600, TI994a, Vic20, c64, ZX Spectrum 128, Amstrad CPC464, Atari 65XE, Commodore Plus/4, Amiga 500
PC's from XT 8088, 486, Pentium MMX, K6, Athlon, P3, P4, 775, to current Ryzen 5600x.

Reply 10 of 18, by dm-

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

1. In some cases DVI output will be enabled only after Windows load the driver.
2. Some cards with damaged dvi may detect display in windows but no output.
3. DVI output depends on the bios used in card. find another similar 4200 with working dvi output and flash bios from working card. (double check chip revisions/compatibility/etc..)

Reply 11 of 18, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

1) Check VGA out (some cheap VGA to HDMI adapters may not like 720x400 @ 70Hz in BIOS/DOS, juat FYI)
2) If that works, install GPU driver and connect your LG to DVI as second screen
3) Use dual monitor function to force the same image on both
4) If that works, try few other resolutions
5) GF 4200 Ti might limit you to 720p resolution on HDMI (or 1280x720) though.
Newer GPUs may not have this limitation.

Reply 12 of 18, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

In addition to what was previously mentioned, there may be an issue with the way the video card's BIOS parses the TV or monitor's EDID (especially if it exposes a native resolution whose timing exceed the capabilities of the video card's TMDS).

Reply 13 of 18, by Sephiroth, The Great

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

NO!!! There is no signal at all this way! No bootup screen! No BIOS! Nothing! Just no signal detected! Those DVI to HDMI adapters are DVI-D (Dual Link) to HDMI adapters so they only take digital signal (which is logical because HDMI outputs digital and is digital only) out of the card. It really seems the card sends analog signal only and not digital signal. Driver would not change anything. Driver works in Windows and I want to see BIOS boot up info screen.

Reply 14 of 18, by Sephiroth, The Great

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

When both outputs are connected (VGA and DVI) at startup then instead of BIOS startup info it shows completely fucked up image. I wonder if it would even work with Voodoo accelerator (because then I would connect VGA out from GeForce4 Ti to Voodoo and DVI out to monitor so both outputs in GeForce would be connected and it seems this card has problems with it)?

Reply 16 of 18, by Sephiroth, The Great

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
darry wrote on 2024-01-25, 07:13:

In addition to what was previously mentioned, there may be an issue with the way the video card's BIOS parses the TV or monitor's EDID (especially if it exposes a native resolution whose timing exceed the capabilities of the video card's TMDS).

I don't understand any of this.

Reply 18 of 18, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Sephiroth, The Great wrote on 2024-01-26, 11:52:

I don't understand any of this.

Short version : Your HDMI device is too new (and neither the card nor monitor can decide on resolution/refresh mode they can operate under at the same time under BIOS).

1) Use different monitor (or not exactly cheap VGA/DVI capture card).
2) Use different card.