VOGONS

First post, by Griff3125

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've purchased this geforce ti4200 cheaply for my Win98 machine and it just won't work with any drivers that I throw at it.
If I manually configure it and update drivers from the device manager of the card, I can actually get the nVidia software loaded
but it can't identify the card's processor (GPU TYPE UNKNOWN)and half the games I throw at it won't work,
ie; no accelleration detected, incorrect colors etc.

It looks like an Albatron ti4280p, and I've tried all the drivers I could find for the Albatron, but the same thing happens like when I'm
trying to load the standard nVidia drivers . . . "sorry, an nVidia card was not found, cannot continue".

It might be an oem card made by Albatron for Gateway, but I could find no Gateway win98 drivers that worked.

Anybody see this card or have any ideas on the correct Windows 98 drivers for it? Attaching a couple of pics...

Thanks for any insight.

Attachments

• 4200 front.jpg
    Filename
    4200 front.jpg
    File size
    350.61 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • 4200 back.jpg
    Filename
    4200 back.jpg
    File size
    381.07 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 1 of 10, by tobiasrieper

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

What's dxdiag displaying ? You looked up the hardware ID in device manager? That should help you find the model.
The card also could be bad, what gpumodel does it say immediately when you boot windows (top left corner)

Reply 2 of 10, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What motherboard/OS/drivers etc.?

Does it look normal during the POST? Does the desktop look normal prior to installing drivers?

It does appear to be a Ti4280: https://www.ebay.com/itm/374712362627?_ul=BO

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 3 of 10, by Griff3125

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks all, yeah, it does look like that 4280, almost.
I think it was an oem board made for Gateway by Albatron with a user replaced fan, there are probably more markings
under the fan assembly, I'm just not inclined to remove it.
Post only says "ti4200 8xagp"
Display looks fine at all resolutions - until I play a game, then it craps out, ie, wrong colors, missing textures, no accelleration found.
Intel 815eea motherboard, PIII 1Ghz, Win98SE.
I must have tried 30+ drivers, all the same results, none could find an nvidia card and I'd have to manually update the generic card
from the device manager and force the installs.
Anyhow, seller agreed to take it back, it's just not worth the hassle.
Thanks for the feedback.

Attachments

• IMG_5601.JPEG
    Filename
    IMG_5601.JPEG
    File size
    1.08 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • IMG_5599.JPEG
    Filename
    IMG_5599.JPEG
    File size
    802.15 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 4 of 10, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What's the PCI ID? In Windows 98 you can run "hwinfo /ui" then go to View > Problem Devices to see devices without drivers, that should be the GPU in your case.

Something is very odd / wrong since it can identify the memory amount, BIOS version and partially install the drivers, but not identify the GPU?

Reply 5 of 10, by Griff3125

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I think it was a generic VGA adapter, no 4200 label in sight.
Under problem devices all that showed up were my disabled ports (normal).
All moot, card is packed up and going back to the seller on Monday.
Absolutely the most frustrating time I've ever had with a no name card,
I'll never go that route again, but thanks for the input.

Reply 6 of 10, by tobiasrieper

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Probably most likely something wrong with the card. Glad you're getting a refund mind. I went through around 2 faulty gpus or ones that just didn't want to play ball until I found my beloved Voodoo 3 3000 😀

Reply 7 of 10, by PD2JK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Looks like an Albatron / Club3D Ti4200 with AGP 8x.

Longshot: have you cleaned the contacts?

i386 16 ⇒ i486 DX4 100 ⇒ Pentium MMX 200 ⇒ Athlon Orion 700 | TB 1000 ⇒ AthlonXP 1700+ ⇒ Opteron 165 ⇒ Dual Opteron 856

Reply 8 of 10, by Griff3125

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah, getting the dust bunnies out and cleaning the fan/edge contacts is the first thing I do when getting a used card,
she's in the box now waiting to go to the post office tomorrow. I can still hear her mocking me, twas a short but painful relationship.

Reply 10 of 10, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
douglar wrote on 2024-01-22, 02:29:

My ti4200 died the same way back in the day. It still had a vga signal, but the windows drivers stopped loading.

I guess as we continue to use these bits of tech well beyond their expected lifespans, they will continue to find new and unusual ways to fail.

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey