VOGONS

First post, by clb

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi,

I am diagnosing behavior of some DOS games, and I realize that I'd like to probe how these games behave if one did not have VESA support at all. Anyone know if such a tool exists?

For example, I had these games that I was looking at recently:
- Scorched Earth,
- Pinball Fantasies,
- Pinball Illusions
- Warlords 2

that all support 640x480 and some do 800x600.

I think Scorched Earth doesn't use VESA, but maybe has hardcoded INT10h SVGA mode numbers for different adapters?

The other games maybe do go via VESA?

So to be able to quickly probe games like that, it would be interesting to be able to "kill"/hide VESA support from an adapter. (also, it might be interesting to kill/override a particular SVGA mode from an adapter if there might be a tool for such a thing?)

I think I could go the route of hooking my own interrupt handlers, though I hope maybe something like this might already exist?

Reply 1 of 5, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
clb wrote on 2024-02-10, 23:09:
Hi, […]
Show full quote

Hi,

I am diagnosing behavior of some DOS games, and I realize that I'd like to probe how these games behave if one did not have VESA support at all. Anyone know if such a tool exists?

For example, I had these games that I was looking at recently:
- Scorched Earth,
- Pinball Fantasies,
- Pinball Illusions
- Warlords 2

that all support 640x480 and some do 800x600.

I think Scorched Earth doesn't use VESA, but maybe has hardcoded INT10h SVGA mode numbers for different adapters?

The other games maybe do go via VESA?

So to be able to quickly probe games like that, it would be interesting to be able to "kill"/hide VESA support from an adapter. (also, it might be interesting to kill/override a particular SVGA mode from an adapter if there might be a tool for such a thing?)

I think I could go the route of hooking my own interrupt handlers, though I hope maybe something like this might already exist?

The VESA NOLFB might be a helpful starting point to a DIY approach NOLFB - Disables LFB enabling DOS games to fallback to VESA 1.2 modes
ASM source is included.

Reply 3 of 5, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Pinball Fantasies doesn't use any SVGA modes, only tweaked VGA.

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...

Reply 5 of 5, by analog_programmer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You may try to use videocard that doesn't support any VESA modes in the BIOS. For example recently I got UM85C408AF based ISA videocard and I was surprised when realized that it supports DOS VESA modes only through dedicated TSR driver.

from СМ630 to Ryzen gen. 3
engineer's five pennies: this world goes south since everything's run by financiers and economists
this isn't voice chat, yet some people, overusing online communications, "talk" and "hear voices"