VOGONS

First post, by shadowen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK, so I have an interesting one here...

My retro rig is my Abit VP6 (running 2x 1GHz CuMine and 2GB RAM); last bios made, (custom YT with 2.351 HPT370).

I have a situation where the machine boots fine all day, every day with an ATI 9500 Pro (AGP), however... if I swap that card for an ATI 9700 Pro (AGP) the machine complains on first boot (one-long, two-short beep code; video) then works if I hit the reset button.

The machine ONLY has this first-boot problem with 9700 Pros and I've gone to the extent of testing multiple different 9700 Pro cards of various revisions that I have on hand (three different cards, all AGP).

So far it smacks of power delivery to me, though unsure as to if it could be bad caps (seems unlikely; no signs of bad caps and really unlucky for it to be across all three cards...) or something else with the power supply (For information the power supply is circa 2011 Antec BP550 Plus, 550W which should be overkill...).

For completeness, I have tried another power supply with the same results (this was a no-name "modern" psu from circa 2021).

Thoughts?

Reply 1 of 1, by Pino

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have tested my 9700 PRO on my Pentium II machine with a 440BX motherboard and a Pentium III on a i815 motherboard with no issues, so I don't think it's a matter of your motherboard being too old.

That same rig had a generic 250W PSU, and again, it was not an issue.

I hate VIA chipsets and their weird AGP issues, I never had an Apollo Pro 133A, but they can be finicky.