VOGONS

First post, by SpringyCZ

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, I need some advice on the values ​​of the capacitor I managed to crush while trying to remove the metal frame on the Radeon 9800 PRO GPU.
I assume that the capacitor is important and therefore I don't have to turn on the card until it is replaced. I would have it repaired somewhere if I can find out what kind of capacitor I crushed.

Thanks in advance for your advice

Attachments

Reply 1 of 2, by Karbist

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't think that cap is critical for the card to work properly but you should clean the pads to avoid creating a short.
these caps are usually 100nf. also R6 looks scratched, make sure it still measures 0 ohm.

Reply 2 of 2, by SpringyCZ

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Karbist wrote on 2024-02-21, 20:31:

I don't think that cap is critical for the card to work properly but you should clean the pads to avoid creating a short.
these caps are usually 100nf. also R6 looks scratched, make sure it still measures 0 ohm.

Thank you!
I thoroughly cleaned the area around the GPU with IPA. R6 seems fine. But I'll try to measure it with a multimeter when I get home. The cap is really 100 nF. I have another non-functional card that served as a donor. After removing the cap from the donor, the repairman measured the same value as you recommended.