VOGONS

First post, by Renaissance 2K

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey, everyone.

I'm using a Windows 98 PC with a Ti 4600. I have a Sony BVM with support for progressive resolutions, and was playing around with nView to see if I could clone the output to both my VGA monitor and the BVM.

Long story short, I ended up selecting the DualView mode to output to my monitor over VGA and the BVM over s-video. The BVM looks fine, although it's not the primary display so all I see is an empty desktop. I'm not getting any picture on my VGA monitor and seeing an "Out of range" error on the OSD. I happened to have an Extron 203 Rxi hooked up at the same time, and its showing output in the 200/300s of kHz, which sounds quite high if 480 is 31kHz.

Normally, the settings would time out and revert after 15 seconds, but that didn't happen this time and I'm stuck in this broken mode. I can right-click on my BVM's desktop and open the nVidia Control Panel, but the resulting window is presumably opening on my primary, non-working display, which I can't see or manipulate. I tried removing the video card in Safe Mode, but as soon as I restart after re-detecting the card, it restores the previous nView settings which blanks out my VGA monitor. I tried unplugging and replugging the two different displays in hopes that nVidia would auto-detect something, but nope. I tried to uninstall the nVidia drivers using Add/Remove Programs, but the utility just throws a Windows error and does nothing.

Is there anything I can do to reset my nView settings without starting over from scratch with a fresh Windows install? Does anybody know if there's a config file or a registry key where these multiple display settings are stored so I can edit them manually? Any idea why this happened in the first place, if both screens work fine as the sole display?

Thanks.

Reply 1 of 1, by Renaissance 2K

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I managed to confuse nView enough to clear out my settings.

I unplugged my monitor from the VGA out on my video card and my BVM from the s-video, and then plugged in the same monitor to the DVI out on the video card. nView cleared my settings, and I was able to restore everything to something workable.

I still wish I knew where those settings were stored, or why the signal was so incorrect, but oh well. Mysteries are half the fun of working with old hardware.