VOGONS

First post, by Bruno128

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It’s been 20 years almost now.
A. Switched to new platform early on. (Intel 915 etc)
B. Stayed AGP for a couple more years. (maybe with later Radeon HD AGP offerings)
C. Used hybrid motherboard. (ASRock 775Dual etc)
D. Resorted to IGP. (maybe temporarily)

How did it go for you?

Now playing: Red Faction on 2003 Acrylic build

SBEMU compatibility reports

Reply 1 of 43, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

AGP was skipped, my family went from ISA/VLB on a 486 to PCI-E +P4 in 2005 or so 🤣

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 2 of 43, by ChrisK

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

C. -> ASRock ALiveDual-eSATA2

- used AGP card (X800GTO) from old system with this "new" board (bought it used)
- switched to newer AGP card (HD3850)
- AGP card died (no more sure if it was the X800 or the HD3850 which died between switching PC off and on but one replaced the other)
- switched to PCIe card (HD7750)
- switched to newer PCIe card (RX470)

Still using it like this today with a quad-core Phenom II 910e and 8 GB RAM.
Great board, I especially bought it for this reason of being able to upgrade from AGP to PCIe when time comes.
Only downside is that it doesn't support six-core Phenoms. Then it could run forever 😉

Reply 3 of 43, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Close to a decade late, but I got there eventually 😁

-Got essentially scammed into buying a new AGP system in ~2006
-Bought a gaming laptop ~2009 (geforce 9600M graphics card was actually removable, but I never found any outlet that would sell one at the time)
-Finally switched to a proper PCIe system at around 2012 when I got an actually decent PC

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4

Reply 4 of 43, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My first PCIE setup was an Athlon 64 X2 3800+ on an Asus A8N SLI Deluxe ( socket 939).

My first PCIE video card was a Geforce 7800GT, which had just come out. I believe it was an MSI.

Prior to that, I had a Radeon 9700 (Sapphire, AFAICR) on a Northwood P4 2.8GHz + Asus P4P800 Deluxe.

It was an expensive transition, but I had no issues.

EDIT: So option A, in my case.

Last edited by darry on 2024-02-26, 14:32. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 5 of 43, by Disruptor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

D. Remained on IGP (Shuttle SV25 Tualatin motherboard with onboard Savage 3D)

The reason was that there were no decent CPUs for a long time. (Pentium 4, first x64 from AMD)
Next systems I got were an AMD E-350 until I got my still used i7-4770k.

Reply 6 of 43, by Rwolf

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I was looking for a hybrid mobo, but did not like their performance, so I stayed with my PCI/AGP combo and only got a used PC with PCIE maybe 5 years ago.
Nothing exciting, really - when the high performance graphics cards started costing as much as a new PC itself, I just left the race to the top.

Reply 7 of 43, by bakemono

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I bought a new socket A board in '03, so I was on AGP until '08 when I upgraded to socket AM2+. I got by with an FX 5700 until the upgrade when I got a 7600GT. Back then I think I was playing more Sega Saturn games than PC games anyway (Saturn imports were cheap then).

again another retro game on itch: https://90soft90.itch.io/shmup-salad

Reply 8 of 43, by Minutemanqvs

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

B. Stayed AGP for a couple more years. (maybe with later Radeon HD AGP offerings)

I went directly from a Radeon 9800 Pro to a Radeon HD 4870 as I gamed a lot less. So it was not a problem to keep the old system.

Searching a Nexgen Nx586 with FPU, PM me if you have one. I have some Athlon MP systems and cookies.

Reply 9 of 43, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I was using older hardware so I didn't face that transition until after it was over for most people.

My last new motherboard for many years was a super socket 7. After that I wasn't real interested in buying the newest stuff, but I was buying and selling a lot of used parts on eBay so my PC changed frequently. My final AGP setup was an nForce2, Mobile Barton CPU and a Radeon 9800 Pro. That was a great system.
I was happy with it until youtube switched to H.264 and I couldn't play their videos anymore. I was so behind the curve that a web site abandoned me.

When I finally bought a new motherboard it was an AM3 Phenom2. I was only playing Morrowind so I didn't need a video card upgrade, but I was faced with the switch to Express. Besides budget, I also worried about the reliability of high powered gaming cards. I was used to having backup hardware around, but with PCI-Express I had nothing.

So I decided to buy a cheap card to start, with a bigger card to be bought someday in the future whenever I actually needed it. My reasoning was that low end cards are usually reliable, so it would make a good fallback if my future "big" card turned up dead one random day.
I loved my 9800 Pro, so I wanted to stay with ATI. So I bought a cheap Radeon HD4350 as my "starter" card. By chaining together some benchmark tests (hard to find for low end cards), I decided it was faster than the 9800 Pro so that was good enough for me. I figured after I bought an HD5750/5770 or whatever, the 4350 would be my fallback that wouldn't require different drivers.

I ended up getting irritated with the 4350. It had some flickering surfaces in games, and there was some problem with dual monitors (don't remember the specifics on that one). It didn't live up to my good experience with the 9800 Pro. So when I did buy a "serious" card, I bought an NVidia GTX260, not a Radeon. Thus my "fallback" 4350 card ended up being an inconvenient oddball. It's the only ATI/AMD Express graphics card I have, still.

I never got engaged with early PCI Express cards. My exposure to those generations was as late AGP models instead.

Reply 10 of 43, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Disruptor wrote on 2024-02-26, 10:21:

D. Remained on IGP (Shuttle SV25 Tualatin motherboard with onboard Savage 3D)

The reason was that there were no decent CPUs for a long time. (Pentium 4, first x64 from AMD)
Next systems I got were an AMD E-350 until I got my still used i7-4770k.

I have friends who had an E-350 based desktop system and my wife had a C-60 based netbook. Those were painful when they came out and have only gone downhill since, IMHO. AFAICR, they were very inexpensive, though and the onboard GPU was apparently well matched to the CPU, performance-wise. https://www.anandtech.com/show/4134/the-brazo … n-for-miniitx/5

Did you use a PCIE GPU in that E-350 ? If so, which one and how was it ?

Reply 11 of 43, by Disruptor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
darry wrote on 2024-02-26, 13:31:

I have friends who had an E-350 based desktop system and my wife had a C-60 based netbook. Those were painful when they came out and have only gone downhill since, IMHO. AFAICR, they were very inexpensive, though and the onboard GPU was apparently well matched to the CPU, performance-wise. https://www.anandtech.com/show/4134/the-brazo … n-for-miniitx/5

Did you use a PCIE GPU in that E-350 ? If so, which one and how was it ?

No, i have used the IGP.

Reply 12 of 43, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Wasn't exactly using Intel at the time. Netburst was expensive and underwhelming, and high power draw made systems noisy too.

My last main AGP system was an nForce2 system with GeForce4Ti and an AXP2500+ overclocked to 200MHz FSB (i.e. 3200+).
Next system was So939 Athlon64. I forget exactly which CPU - iirc went for a single-core first then upgraded to X2 4400 quite soon aftewards. GPU was 6600GT. Ironically I had an Asrock 939Dual-VSTA motherboard which had both AGP and PCIe slots, but I just went with PCIe.

So that could qualify as A, B or C 😉

Reply 13 of 43, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had the money for a major upgrade in early 2006, so I moved from a Socket A system (8RDA3+, Mobile Athlon, 9800 Pro) to 939. Epox 9NPA3 Ultra, 3200+, and a PCIe 6800 GS 256 megabyte.

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 14 of 43, by ciornyi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I had athlon64 3500+ and MSI K8T Neo2 with 6800gt so i bought asus A8N SE and 7900gs . Thats how i migrated to pciE.

DOS: 166mmx/16mb/Y719/S3virge
DOS/95: PII333/128mb/AWE64/TNT2M64
Win98: P3_900/256mb/SB live/3dfx V3
Win Me: Athlon 1700+/512mb/Audigy2/Geforce 3Ti200
Win XP: E8600/4096mb/SB X-fi/HD6850

Reply 15 of 43, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Went from a mid-2004 Athlon 3000 + X800XT AGP combo to an Opteron 185 w/ 8800GTS SLI setup in early 2007. I got the Opteron and S939 SLI board super cheap because AM2 and Core 2 had already launched. The video cards were anything but cheap though; think I was only a month shy of the much cheaper (and cooler, and faster, and fully H264ify'ed) G92 version.

94 MHz NEC VR4300 | SGI Reality CoPro | 8MB RDRAM | Each game gets its own SSD - nooice!

Reply 16 of 43, by MadMac_5

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I had a limited upgrade budget at the time since I was an undergrad student, so I went with an ASRock 939 Dual SATA II motherboard and a 3800+ X2 CPU and kept my Radeon 9700 Pro when I finally upgraded from Socket A back in late 2006. A few months later I'd saved up enough for a PCI-E EVGA 7900 GS, which was a fairly substantial upgrade and slotted into that motherboard quite nicely. I still have that motherboard/CPU combo as a retro PC, although now it's got an ATI X1900XTX which I wanted at the time but could never afford.

Reply 17 of 43, by paradigital

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My memory is hazy, but I’m pretty certain that I held onto AGP until I retired my 9800 XT, which I “think” was replaced by a pair of Gainward Bliss 7800GT cards.

So “B”.

Reply 18 of 43, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A) Switched platform probably in early 2006:

Went from:

Athlon XP-M 2500+ (@2500MHz)
ABIT NF7 V2.0
GeForce 6600GT AGP

to

Athlon 64 X2 3800+ (@2500MHz)
Gigabyte GA-K8NF-9
GeForce 6800GS PCI-E

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 19 of 43, by SPBHM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

the last AGP card I got when new was the 6800 128mb, it was a popular option on forums because it was relatively cheap and often could unlock the extra pipelines and vertex shader units and overclock some, after that I don't think the AGP options appealed to me when new compared to PCIE cards