VOGONS

Reply 40 of 43, by Martli

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

B for me. The switch to PCIe roughly corresponded with me finishing high school, and moving to my own PC and away from the family PC. My family upgraded every four years and our last agp system was a P4 with a Radeon 9800 pro. We got that in early ‘04, and I built my first PC in mid-2008 with an 8800gt in it (unfortunately that is the only spec I can remember). Like Dominus, I actually switched to an iMac shortly after, as I was not having a bar of Windows Vista, and was more interested in music production than gaming at the time. I dual booted that iMac with windows XP so I could still play a few older titles, Civilisation IV and battlefield 1942 being my main choices at the time and that served me very well until late 2016 😄

Fenrir Asus P5A | Pentium MMX 166 | Ymf719 | ES1868f | SC-88ST pro
Neptune Asus P3B-F | PIII 600 | Voodoo3 | Audigy 2 | SB16
Thor Intel D865GBF | P4 3.0ghz | 4200ti | Audigy 2ZS
Jupiter Intel DH77KC | i5 3470 | GTX 670 | X-Fi

Reply 41 of 43, by iraito

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I kept agp from 2002 up to 2005.
Started with a 9700 pro and after that died I swapped it for a 6600 GT, then after that died too I moved to a new system with PCIe.
I'm surprised by the fact that the P4 served me for that long without me complaining too much if anything.

uRj9ajU.pngqZbxQbV.png
If you wanna check a blue ball playing retro PC games
MIDI Devices: RA-50 (modded to MT-32) SC-55

Reply 42 of 43, by nd22

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I purchased a brand new system with AGP in 2004: ABit kv8 pro, athlon 64 2800, geforce 6600gt - simply because pci-express was commanding a huge premium back than. I stayed on the same AGP video card until 2006 when I upgraded to a E6400+AW9D-MAX+7600gt and was very happy! Performance was excellent in all the games I played. Still have both platforms today.

Reply 43 of 43, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had an Socket A Athlon 1700+ with an AGP Radeon 9800 pro on an Nforce2 platform to start off 2004. I upgraded the CPU to a Barton 2500+ in March and overclocked FSB to 400MHz. I wanted to keep the NForce 2 platform because the copper spidf out fit with my setup in a way that I loved, but wasn't completely thrilled with the build. That motherboard still works, but I had to recap it in 2020. I don't overclock it anymore.

After Halflife 2 came out, I felt like things were not as smooth as they should be, (and the video card was too hot) so I upgraded to a socket 939 Athlon64 3200+ with a PCIe Radeon 800xl on an ASUS Nforce 4 motherboard . It was an expensive upgrade at the time, I was disappointed that the Nforce 4 didn't have a copper spidf out for my receiver, so I added a turtle beach card in early 2005. The new motherboard also came with SATA, so that also helped me make the jump and I felt like quality of the games begged for the upgrade. The 939 motherboard & Radeon 800xl combo lasted for 5 years as my main system (with an upgrade to an Opteron 175 in early 2006). A lightning strike burned out one of the on board lan ports cards in 2007, but the board had dual jacks, so it was blessed to continue. Used it as my TV for a couple years with a usb2 ATSC tuner. Never took advantage of the SLI on the nforce 4 motherboard though. My kids got to use that Nforce 4 board from 2010 through 2016 when Window 10 finally delegated it to being unpleasant.

I always thought that AGP was a mess, with most of it's features missing the mark or the market, but I was gaming a lot at the time and I had a home rig and a LAN party rig and I went through a lot of equipment between 1999 and 2005. I stated with a Rage II Agp that I got for free, upgraded to a Voodoo 3 2000 AGP (giant boost in performance), Asus Riva TNT 2 (serviceable but finicky, probably because it was on an OC's Celeron 300a), tried an ATI Rage 128 pro for a minute, enjoyed my Geforce 3 ti200 with my early Athlon XP builds until it burned out, and the same with the Geforce 4 4400 (until it also burned out) before getting the 9800XP. That's why I was nervous about the VGA card heat, but honestly, smoking and cats and no air conditioning in the summer were likely contributing factors for the 200x video card deaths as well.