VOGONS

First post, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What is the difference between the Rage Pro and Rage Turbo? My research suggests that they are the exact same chip but the Turbo was marketed later as a "faster/new" chip, but this was artificially done by providing better drivers only for this card. Supposedly this was found out and in later drivers they were considered the same (Rage Pro/Turbo). It's possible that the Turbo had higher clocks, but I think that the all of the Pro/Turbo cards are a mixed grab bag, depending on the bin of the chip, whether it was business OEM, etc.

I also noticed different labeling "3D Rage Pro AGP 2X" and "Rage Pro Turbo AGP". Wikipedia says that this card is found in PCI, AGP, and AGP 2X, but I would hazard that the increased AGP specification would make any difference in benchmarks. But then if there is "Pro AGP", "Pro AGP 2X", and "Pro Turbo AGP", what is the order of release? Did the AGP 2X come before or after the Turbo? Does it even matter?

I also found reference to a Rage Pro being available in 16MB, but I haven't been able to confirm this. I thought that maybe this would be available through the little memory expansion, but every card that I've seen which uses this is 4MB onboard + 4MB expansion. Every card which has 8MB onboard already has this expansion connector absent.

Reply 1 of 33, by Trashbytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Welcome to early ATI naming bullshittery, for the most part they are the exact same GPU with different names depending on where they came from, OEM, Retail, 3rd Party etc. The worst part of all this is that cards produced by DELL had different hardware IDs from the Retail ATI cards even if they were exactly the same, thus ATI drivers wouldnt work with DELL cards and DELL drivers wouldnt work with ATI cards . .all in all it was messed up so now you have to be certain who made the card you have. (I may be miss remembering the driver situation here and that may have been isolated to Rage 128 GPUs)

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/?archit … sort=generation if you look here you can see that there were some differences with bus width and speeds once the Rage XL was released but all cards used the Rage 3 GPU and all the ones you listed are identical aside from memory sizes and slot.

The AGP 2x cards are the same as the AGP version, perhaps they decided to show off the 2x part for marketing but they were all 2x regardless.

Funny thing is . .ATI continued this bullshittery with the Rage 128 series ...they really didnt learn. (Still love the Fury MAXX, glad I own a working one)

Reply 3 of 33, by Trashbytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kahenraz wrote on 2024-02-27, 10:02:

The whole Xpert@Work, Xpert@Play 98, Xpert 128, et al naming scheme was terribly confusing as well. I'm also a proud owner of a Fury MAXX. What a terrible card.

Ohhhh yes terrible doesn't quite describe the card, but I think its a terribly wonderful bit of computer history that is a complete pain in the arse to actually get running.

Its too damn picky about which boards it will run in and you need to use different driver versions to get different games to run on it .. too much fun.

Reply 4 of 33, by Putas

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Trashbytes wrote on 2024-02-27, 09:45:

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/?archit … sort=generation if you look here you can see that there were some differences with bus width and speeds once the Rage XL was released but all cards used the Rage 3 GPU and all the ones you listed are identical aside from memory sizes and slot.

It is true that only Rage XL upped the clocks. But don't believe the page, they somehow state wrong clocks for every card.

Reply 8 of 33, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I bought a Rage Turbo from eBay with the chip labeled as "Rage Pro Turbo AGP" and it was recognized by Windows as an "XPERT 98 AGP 2X". So it seems that the AGP 2X moniker can apply even to chips where it isn't explicitly labeled.

These same drivers also have separate device ID entries for "Rage Pro Turbo AGP" and "Rage Pro Turbo AGP 2X", so there are different revisions. Whether it's in the silicon or the card's BIOS, I don't know.

Reply 9 of 33, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There was a marketing Rage Pro and an actually better Rage Pro that the XL and XC based on.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 11 of 33, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Rage Pro, Rage Pro 2X and Rage Pro Turbo are most likely the same silicon, just different revisions with refined hardware bugs. XL and after are shrink lithography plus some minor hardware adjustments (SDRAM support, etc).

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 13 of 33, by Spark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

There's an ATI specifications document on the VGAmuseum site that lists the differences, here's the relevent part.
Edit - sorry the attached is such poor quality, you can just about make it out though.

Attachments

Reply 14 of 33, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I finally found an example to demonstrate a visual difference between the Rage Pro and Rage XL, thanks to Spark's attached datasheet. There is definitely a difference with how textures are filtered, and this is particularly noticeable in Return to Castle Wolfenstein. Note that the text is very hard to read.

Here are screenshots from the Rage Pro/Turbo:

rage_pro_1.png
Filename
rage_pro_1.png
File size
223.23 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
rage_pro_2.png
Filename
rage_pro_2.png
File size
331.24 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
rage_pro_3.png
Filename
rage_pro_3.png
File size
303.02 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
rage_pro_4.png
Filename
rage_pro_4.png
File size
326.06 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
Last edited by Kahenraz on 2024-03-02, 03:47. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 15 of 33, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Here are the same screenshots from the Rage XL:

rage_xl_1.png
Filename
rage_xl_1.png
File size
225.1 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
rage_xl_2.png
Filename
rage_xl_2.png
File size
343.14 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
rage_xl_3.png
Filename
rage_xl_3.png
File size
315.73 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
rage_xl_4.png
Filename
rage_xl_4.png
File size
331.51 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 16 of 33, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The Rage XL while too late for any serious competition wasn't bad. It's like the Rage IIC position few years before. Also the improved MPEG2 decoding was a good thing to have.
What instead felt bad even for its times is the PCI version of the original Rage Pro in the old package.

Reply 17 of 33, by Putas

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
386SX wrote on 2024-03-02, 05:41:

The Rage XL while too late for any serious competition wasn't bad. It's like the Rage IIC position few years before. Also the improved MPEG2 decoding was a good thing to have.
What instead felt bad even for its times is the PCI version of the original Rage Pro in the old package.

Maybe it seriously competed at the low end.
Do you mean Rage Pro with slower memory? Then yes, that hurts performance.

Reply 18 of 33, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Putas wrote on 2024-03-02, 13:21:
386SX wrote on 2024-03-02, 05:41:

Maybe it seriously competed at the low end.
Do you mean Rage Pro with slower memory? Then yes, that hurts performance.

I mean the Rage Pro PCI with SGRAM upgradable to 8MB. I was expecting it to have similar speed of the AGP version but at some point I even wondered if that old package was more some Rage II engine than a real Rage Pro. While oriented to different market sectors the Riva 128 PCI destroy that more than it should. Even the MPEG2 acceleration can't fully work as expected but only on paper on the sw that supported it.

Reply 19 of 33, by Spark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That's interesting, I wondered why that RTCW menu looked so bad on Rage Pro. They were expecting the text to be filtered.
There are some other examples I noticed while using the rage pro where the rage xl might do better. I don't have a rage xl so my comparison shots are rage pro on the left, and voodoo on the right.
First is Unreal using D3D driver with the final patch v226 from Epic. The voodoo shot is glide of course. The unfiltered lighting on the left gives it a pretty unique look on the rage pro.
Second is Half-life using OpenGL where you get both the smoke on the wall and the decals on the floor unfiltered on rage pro in the left shot.
I would have hoped the rage xl would look more like the voodoo.

Attachments