VOGONS

First post, by yojc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've got an old PC with Aristo AM-639BX motherboard: https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/pcpart … bxa839d-35-8839

Typically I use a Riva TNT PCI card in there, but just out of curiousity I tried changing it to a GeForce 4 Ti 4600 AGP card which I had laying around. However, the PC wouldn't boot - 1 long, 3 short beeps, indicating a video card issue. Now, my question is... is it even supposed to work, or the card is too new or otherwise incompatible? I'm not very well versed with AGP revisions and whatnot, but the notches on the card and mobo slot matched. The card doesn't have an extra power connector, and I couldn't find any jumpers or BIOS settings related to AGP. (the card works in other, newer mobos)

Reply 1 of 4, by dskiller

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

is that 128mb card? If so it might be too much for the system to work as system might not have enough resources run.

I have a 440bx system and it boots with 128mb card but the card cant run in windows.

Seems max is 64mb

Reply 2 of 4, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

With early AGP systems the issue is power, that is, the card you're trying to use draws more than the motherboard can provide. I briefly had an Asus P2B and it wouldn't boot with any of the higher powered AGP cards I tried, but it worked fine with a Radeon 7000 AGP.

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 3 of 4, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The survival rate of 4600s is far less than ideal also, so that could also be a factor. But GF3 and GF4 were causing power problems still on later DDR boards, so that is also a valid concern.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 4 of 4, by yojc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dskiller wrote on 2024-03-11, 23:59:

is that 128mb card? If so it might be too much for the system to work as system might not have enough resources run.

Yeah, it's a 128MB card. MSI G4Ti4600-VTD to be precise.

Thanks for the replies, now I know the card is unlikely to work in this system, so I won't waste any more time troubleshooting. Bummer, but at least I have a few other compatible mobos.