VOGONS

First post, by kenan8332

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everyone. I recently bought a Commodore 1084 monitor. The power LED is on. There is sound in the speaker, but there is no image. There is no flyback sound on the monitor. What could be the problem? Thank you in advance for your help.

I connected a camera to the RGB output. The sound is very good. But again there is no image. Today I opened the box of the monitor. I emptied the tube. And I removed the motherboard and the PCB behind the tube. I could not see any problem in my examination of the cards. Maybe I missed it. I am sharing the pictures. Finally The multimeter did not give any value when measuring the diode next to the flyback. I continue the measurements.

Attachments

Last edited by kenan8332 on 2024-03-17, 20:25. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1 of 11, by AlaricD

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Do you have something like a Kill-A-Watt meter? If the power usage is suspiciously low, it could be the flyback transformer itself. That it plays sound is otherwise a good sign, though. I'd take a peek inside to see if there are any obviously-blown caps and stuff like that (of course, it shouldn't HAVE to be said to be careful on the inside of a CRT monitor/TV, but it's a worse idea to not warn people of the shock hazard).

Reply 2 of 11, by kenan8332

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
AlaricD wrote on 2024-03-12, 20:22:

Do you have something like a Kill-A-Watt meter? If the power usage is suspiciously low, it could be the flyback transformer itself. That it plays sound is otherwise a good sign, though. I'd take a peek inside to see if there are any obviously-blown caps and stuff like that (of course, it shouldn't HAVE to be said to be careful on the inside of a CRT monitor/TV, but it's a worse idea to not warn people of the shock hazard).

Thanks for your warnings. I don't have Kill-A-Watt, but I have a multimeter and can use it. As far as I understand there is low voltage but not high voltage. Do I need to look for paths to flayback for this?

Reply 3 of 11, by midicollector

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Might be the connector where you plug in the video cable or the fly back could be dead, or there could be any number of other problems. Impossible to say.

Also CRTs have voltage in the 20,000 volt range.

Reply 5 of 11, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The digital to analog switch was going bad on mine, kept meaning to change it or clean it, but then had to leave it behind in a long distance move.

Bear in mind you've got maybe 3x3 input and setting combos and be sure you are on something sensible, and nothing stupid is going on like the contrast and brightness potentiometers are set way down or are also glitchy (observe screen when cranking them back and forward)

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 6 of 11, by butjer1010

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Your post was too "narrow".... You didn't wrote did You try on all inputs, you didn't mention if You tried all the switches on the back side of monitor, or like BitWrangler said, did You tried all the potentiometers,..... Maybe all this would be helpfull....

Reply 7 of 11, by dominusprog

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Whatever you do, don't touch the flyback, even when the monitor is turned off. First, discharge the high voltage, then check for broken solder joints.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0X28FX_XxtU&p … HRoZSBmbHliYWNr

Duke_2600.png
A-Trend ATC-1020 V1.1 ❇ Cyrix 6x86 150+ @ 120MHz ❇ 32MiB EDO RAM (8MiBx4) ❇ A-Trend S3 Trio64V2 2MiB
Aztech Pro16 II-3D PnP ❇ 8.4GiB Quantum Fireball ❇ Win95 OSR2 Plus!

Reply 8 of 11, by kenan8332

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
butjer1010 wrote on 2024-03-13, 21:25:

Your post was too "narrow".... You didn't wrote did You try on all inputs, you didn't mention if You tried all the switches on the back side of monitor, or like BitWrangler said, did You tried all the potentiometers,..... Maybe all this would be helpfull....

I connected a camera to the rbg output. The sound comes out perfectly from the monitor's speaker. But there is no image. As far as I understand, there is low voltage. There is no high voltage. That's why I opened the monitor's case. I drained the tube. I'm currently making measurements on the motherboard.

Reply 10 of 11, by butjer1010

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kenan8332 wrote on 2024-03-17, 18:49:
butjer1010 wrote on 2024-03-13, 21:25:

I connected a camera to the rbg output. The sound comes out perfectly from the monitor's speaker. But there is no image. As far as I understand, there is low voltage. There is no high voltage. That's why I opened the monitor's case. I drained the tube. I'm currently making measurements on the motherboard.

Did You try this switch (picture - Yellow circuit)? This is the switch for changing to RGB or CVBS (if i remember right).

Attachments

• cm.jpg
    Filename
    cm.jpg
    File size
    80.57 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 11 of 11, by butjer1010

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

And also try switch camera Video output (yellow jack) to other "holes" 😀 There is chroma and luma, but the rgb works only in one of them, and i believe in luma. Switch right to the scart (same as the one i marked yellow on that picture up there) is i think for monochrome or something like that, but i think the picture will be there no matter of position.