VOGONS

First post, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm having a problem this OAK OTI-037c that I bought. For some reason, it does not always display a picture when the system turns on. The card is still detected, and I get a positive POST beep, but there is no display. Power cycling will usually make it work, typically on the second try.

I don't see any dried out electrolytic capacitors to replace. What would be the problem?

20240314_005342.jpg
Filename
20240314_005342.jpg
File size
1.67 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 1 of 4, by dominusprog

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Are you using an ISA riser? And what about the DIP switches on the front, did you set them correctly?

Duke_2600.png
A-Trend ATC-1020 V1.1 ❇ Cyrix 6x86 150+ @ 120MHz ❇ 32MiB EDO RAM (8MiBx4) ❇ A-Trend S3 Trio64V2 2MiB
Aztech Pro16 II-3D PnP ❇ 8.4GiB Quantum Fireball ❇ Win95 OSR2 Plus!

Reply 4 of 4, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I only have LCDs. I don't have this issue with any of my other known-working cards.

Although I have experienced this before with both sound and video cards, it's always due to the card being very old and not having been powered on for some time. I believe that this is due to capacitor aging, and after a few power cycles the cards become reliable. In one extreme case where I thought a card was dead, I left it in the system while powered on for some time while thinking. After one last attempt after that, it started working and was stable after that.

The difference with this card is that there are only solid state ceramic and tantalum capacitors. There are no electrolytic capacitors at all.