VOGONS

First post, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

More of a curiosity than use. Title should be enough. On WDDM drivers the setting doesn't even exist. What magic did WDDM cast here?

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 1 of 3, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Why all these strange questions? Are you from the future?

I want to say when the wddm driver model is used instead of xpdm in vista is when the slider disappeared. Although I want to say it was greyed out... I'd have to verify.

Since wddm standardizes a lot of what drivers may or may not have been doing themselves so you were now required to be using specific features and each new version was programmed with DX feature levels in mind. Also just as with audio acceleration most issues requiring the use of the slider were with drivers that need to be fixed. Most Windows issues are caused by buggy drivers and programs that the ignorant blame on windows and having to constantly change a slider is ridiculous instead of per app setting aka application compatibility toolkit.

Last edited by DosFreak on 2024-03-18, 11:10. Edited 1 time in total.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 3, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DosFreak wrote on 2024-03-18, 10:42:

Why all these strange questions? Are you from the future?

Yes I opened the dsound slider thread so that reminded me of the display acceleration slider and then I noticed its greyed out on Windows 7 so that's why I asked. Most probably I would have forgotten in a day.

Your answer makes sense, I will hold it true unless someone debates.

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 3 of 3, by Azarien

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DosFreak wrote on 2024-03-18, 10:42:

Most Windows issues are caused by buggy drivers and programs that the ignorant blame on windows and having to constantly change a slider is ridiculous instead of per app setting aka application compatibility toolkit.

I have one use case for the slider on Windows 98 - by moving it 2 positions to the left one can force using voodoo/voodoo2 for Direct3D instead of main video adapter. This fixes Colin McRae Rally for me.