VOGONS

First post, by revolstar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've been playing Max Payne on my Win98 rig lately and decided to swap the GF FX5500 for a Radeon 9600 Pro for some extra fps.

Now, while Max Payne runs fine both using the 9600 Pro and my voodoo2, other games don't. For example, when I try to run NFS3 or Fifa 98 with the voodoo2 selected in EA's 3dSetup app, the game fails to load and Windows hangs up a bit - all I am able to do is to shut down the ststem from the Start menu, and even then instead of the usual "closing windows" screen the display becomes corrupt and my LG Flatron gives me a "out of range" warning, then the PC shuts down normally. When I select the 9600 Pro in 3dSetup, these games seem to work fine.

One more thing, I'm using the Omega driver 6.2, because when I installed Catalyst 6.2, I could't change the refresh rate. I mean, I could select 75 or 72 hz in the settings, but the actual refresh rate of the monitor wouldn't change and stayed at 60.

For the voodoo2, I'm using the latest driver from 3dfxzone.it, FastVoodoo 4.6.

What could be the problem here?

Win98 rig: Athlon XP 2500+/512MB RAM/Gigabyte GA-7VT600/SB Live!/GF FX5700/Voodoo2 12MB
WinXP rig: HP RP5800 - Pentium G850/2GB RAM/GF GT530 1GB
Amiga: A600/2MB RAM
PS3: Slim model, 500GB HDD, mostly for RetroArch, PSX & PS2 games

Reply 1 of 1, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

YMMV but I wouldn't run anything other than official drivers for both cards. I've had nothing but trouble running 3rd party drivers. Just my personal experience with it.