VOGONS

First post, by AndrettiGTO

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Having difficulties installing drivers after upgrading my retro build.
I have a Slot 1 MS-6119 v1.1 440BX with a P2-450 and 3.3v AGP. It's running Windows 98 with SP2 and unofficial SP3. All MS-6119 chipset .inf are installed.
It's running Voodoo2 SLI and initially had a GeForce2 Ti 64mb AGP 4x as primary. Installed games are no newer than 2001 but the GeForce2 struggles with some non Glide/OpenGL titles.

My first upgrade attempt was an MSI GForce4 Ti4200 64MB AGP 4x with windows initially installing its generic VGA driver. When I try to install the NVidia v29.42 (May, 2002) drivers, it exits, reporting that no compatible hardware was found.
I then attempted to install a Radeon 9800pro 128MB AGP 8x, trying both Catalyst 5.9 and 6.2 and they both also exit, reporting no compatible hardware was found.

I've don't see any issues with the BIOS settings. My initial GF2 is AGP 4x so I assume the issue is not related to AGP incompatibility. I know the 9800 would be downgraded and it's not my first choice but I wanted to rule out a hardware problem with the GF4.

Any ideas on how to proceed with this?

It's all fun and games 'till someone loses an eyeball

Reply 3 of 4, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Shadzilla wrote on 2024-03-21, 08:46:

Try the 45.23 drivers, and yes as above avoid any unofficial service packs (were there even any official service packs for Windows 98?!).

I assumed by SP2 they meant Windows 98SE.

Reply 4 of 4, by AndrettiGTO

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Reinstalling the motherboards .inf files corrected the problem and allowed installation of the GeForce4 drivers. I'm can only guess that installing multiple games after, it somehow corrupted the Windows install.
As an added measure, I've uninstalled the unofficial sp3. Thanks for the input.

It's all fun and games 'till someone loses an eyeball