VOGONS

First post, by Minutemanqvs

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello all!

I took my old 3dfx Voodoo 3 2000 out and booting it I noticed it has the very first 1.00.01-SD BIOS, so an SDRAM card.

IMG-1503.jpg
IMG-1498.jpg

So I was thinking about updating the bios because <insert reason here> so I headed to https://3dfxbios.cl-rahden.de/index.php?title=Voodoo3 and took the SDR-SDRAM 2.15.09 version (also tried others), with the Flashing tool 2.14 (also tried 2.17) and it basically fails miserably. In the following screenshot you can see the failed flash process. Flashing back the "save.rom" version 1.00.01-SD works perfectly fine, to electrically all is fine.

IMG-1500.jpg

What puzzles me is that my "saved.rom" version 1.00.01-SD does not have the same md5 sum than version 1.00.01 SDR-SDRAM on the website...is there something I'm missing?

Searching a Nexgen Nx586 with FPU, PM me if you have one. I have some Athlon MP systems and cookies.

Reply 1 of 4, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'd run them through a tool to do a bitwise compare to see how different they were. There's something like an evens chance that a cosmic ray flips a bit in a semiconductor storage device in 30 years. So single bit error could happen, and there's a lot of those you'll never notice, like a pixel added or missing from a display like the POST message.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 2 of 4, by Babasha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Minutemanqvs wrote on 2024-03-21, 17:07:
Hello all! […]
Show full quote

Hello all!

I took my old 3dfx Voodoo 3 2000 out and booting it I noticed it has the very first 1.00.01-SD BIOS, so an SDRAM card.

IMG-1503.jpg
IMG-1498.jpg

So I was thinking about updating the bios because <insert reason here> so I headed to https://3dfxbios.cl-rahden.de/index.php?title=Voodoo3 and took the SDR-SDRAM 2.15.09 version (also tried others), with the Flashing tool 2.14 (also tried 2.17) and it basically fails miserably. In the following screenshot you can see the failed flash process. Flashing back the "save.rom" version 1.00.01-SD works perfectly fine, to electrically all is fine.

IMG-1500.jpg

What puzzles me is that my "saved.rom" version 1.00.01-SD does not have the same md5 sum than version 1.00.01 SDR-SDRAM on the website...is there something I'm missing?

Got the same trouble and lost my original BIOS.
Get it back to life with “GeForce 2MX PCB layout” BIOS from italian 3Dfx funs site.

Need help? Begin with photo and model of your hardware 😉

Reply 3 of 4, by Minutemanqvs

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I made some diff between my saved 1.00.01-SD version and the ones found on 3dfxbios.cl-rahden.de and www.3dfxzone.it. They are all dated the same, for example my version:

Screenshot-2024-03-23-at-18-25-27.png

Then here are the binary differences between the 3 BIOS files, someone has visibly put their name in the one from 3dfxzone.it, otherwise they are identical. Mine is slightly different:

Screenshot-2024-03-23-at-18-23-25.png

I wonder if the flashing utility checks for this "0769008EC.W00SN" part or if these 2 BIOS files come drom the same source and this happens to be a particular card ID. I will try to play with these 1.00-01 versions a bit more, obviously the v2.15 BIOS is very different from these.

Searching a Nexgen Nx586 with FPU, PM me if you have one. I have some Athlon MP systems and cookies.

Reply 4 of 4, by Minutemanqvs

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Edit: it actually is an ID that is written on a sticker on my card.

077300BN

IMG-1510.jpg