VOGONS

First post, by User5518

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Currently, I'm setting up a gaming PC for early DOS games. It's an HP Vectra 386/33N with a 386SX CPU (onboard), a whopping 16 MB RAM, a SoundBlaster Pro 2, a Roland RA-50 (modded to an MT-32) and a 1GB HDD. I'm actually very happy with the system. Now I have to read here: VGA VLB S3 Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC) 86C801/805, basic info that I can install drivers for the S3 P86C801 graphics card under Windows 3.11 in order to achieve 70Hz.
But how do I do this?
I downloaded version 2.4 and copied it to the system. However, the driver is not found via "Control Panel" => "Drivers" when I manually point to the 2.4 driver. There is also no "Setup.exe" or similar. Does anyone know the way to install the driver? I would be pleased.
My goal is to have 70Hz under Windows 3.11

Reply 2 of 10, by User5518

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you for your assistance. Meanwhile, I discovered a helpful guide at http://www.sierrahelp.com/Utilities/Emulators … icsDrivers.html, which outlines the driver installation process in a comprehensible manner.

Regrettably, after installing the "S3 2.41 1024x768 256 colors SF", "S3 2.41 800x600 256 colors LF", or any other configuration, I encountered the following error message: "Die Initialisierung des Bildschirmtreibers für den Privilegstufenwechsel konnte nicht durchgeführt werden." This translates to "The initialization of the screen driver for the privilege level change could not be performed."

Hopefully, this issue is specific to version 2.41 of the driver. As a next step, I plan to experiment with versions 2.3 and 2.5 to see if the problem persists.

(After receiving the error message, I was unable to boot into Windows. However, by modifying the C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM.INI file to change the driver from "display.drv=S3FLAT.drv" to "display.drv=VGA.drv", I was able to resolve the booting issue. Although this workaround enables the system to boot, it effectively removes the enhanced drivers and reverts to standard VGA graphics.)

Last edited by User5518 on 2024-04-01, 21:24. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 10, by Babasha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
User5518 wrote on 2024-04-01, 21:19:
Thank you! In the meanwhile, I also found this guide: http://www.sierrahelp.com/Utilities/Emulators … icsDrivers.html which make […]
Show full quote

Thank you! In the meanwhile, I also found this guide: http://www.sierrahelp.com/Utilities/Emulators … icsDrivers.html which makes the installations-process very clear.

Unfortunately, I get this error-message after installing "S3 2.41 1024x768 256 colors SF" or "S3 2.41 800x600 256 colors LF" or any other mode:
"Die Initialisierung des Bildschirmtreibers für den Privilegstufenwechsel konnte nicht durchgeführt werden" which translates to "The initialization of the screen driver for the privilege level change could not be performed."

Hopefully, this is an issue with Version 2.41. I will try 2.3 and 2.5 tomorrow.

I hope your Windows 3.1 works in 386 Enhanced mode?

Need help? Begin with photo and model of your hardware 😉

Reply 4 of 10, by User5518

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Babasha wrote on 2024-04-01, 21:22:

Upon reviewing my system's configuration, I can confirm that Windows 3.11 is indeed operating in 386 Enhanced Mode. This conclusion is supported by several key observations:

• The presence of a [386Enh] section within the C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM.INI file, indicating enhanced mode configurations specific to 386 processors.
  • The output of the winver command displays "Erweiterter Modus für 386-PC Windows Version 3.10," which translates to "Enhanced Mode for 386-PC Windows Version 3.10," further affirming the operational mode.
  • Additionally, an "Enhanced" icon/option is available in the Control Panel, which typically signifies that enhanced mode settings can be accessed and modified.

Reply 5 of 10, by Babasha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
User5518 wrote on 2024-04-01, 21:35:
Upon reviewing my system's configuration, I can confirm that Windows 3.11 is indeed operating in 386 Enhanced Mode. This conclus […]
Show full quote
Babasha wrote on 2024-04-01, 21:22:

Upon reviewing my system's configuration, I can confirm that Windows 3.11 is indeed operating in 386 Enhanced Mode. This conclusion is supported by several key observations:

• The presence of a [386Enh] section within the C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM.INI file, indicating enhanced mode configurations specific to 386 processors.
  • The output of the winver command displays "Erweiterter Modus für 386-PC Windows Version 3.10," which translates to "Enhanced Mode for 386-PC Windows Version 3.10," further affirming the operational mode.
  • Additionally, an "Enhanced" icon/option is available in the Control Panel, which typically signifies that enhanced mode settings can be accessed and modified.

Just click Help - About… in Program manager)))

Attachments

• IMG_1005.jpeg
    Filename
    IMG_1005.jpeg
    File size
    91.11 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 6 of 10, by User5518

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well... "Enhanced" is missing:

IMG_8395.jpg
Filename
IMG_8395.jpg
File size
147.64 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

🙁

Thank you every much for your help, but for now, I need some sleep. I will figure out tomorrow, how I enable enhanced mode. (I guess I have to reinstall Windows...)

Edit:
Looks like I can force Windows into Enhanced Mode with „ WIN /3“. I will test this tomorrow and will report back.

Reply 7 of 10, by User5518

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Can it be, that the "Standard Mode" / "Enhanced Mode" is only relevant for Windows 3.1 and not 3.11?
Because, when I force Windows into the "Enhanced Mode" with "win /3", I still do not get the information about the Enhanced Mode in the Info-Box.

And I tried also the drivers 2.3 as well as 2.5, both drivers have the same issue like 2.41:
"Die Initialisierung des Bildschirmtreibers für den Privilegstufenwechsel konnte nicht durchgeführt werden."
("The initialization of the screen driver for the privilege level change could not be performed.")

Maybe the issue is Windows 3.11? I think, I will try 3.1.

Edit:
I found the original driver-webpage from S3:
https://web.archive.org/web/19990428100453/ht … 0xdrv/index.htm
There is listed: "Windows 3.1 English Driver for 80X v2.50.06 Production"
I wonder, if the language is an issue. Maybe the drivers only work with english Windows installations?

Reply 8 of 10, by Babasha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sorry currently i have only selfmade hybrid Win 3.1/Win 3.11 version in my VirtualBox - cannot check in wild-life(((

Attachments

Reply 9 of 10, by User5518

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
IMG_8412.jpg
Filename
IMG_8412.jpg
File size
97.48 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Success! 😀

I formatted C:, reinstalled DOS 6.22, and Windows 3.11. But this time, I didn't choose the "express" installation and integrated the graphics driver (version 2.41) during the installation process of Windows 3.11. And after the installation, I have 72Hz 😀

Thank you again, Babasha, for your support!

Reply 10 of 10, by Babasha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
User5518 wrote on 2024-04-02, 16:56:
IMG_8412.jpg […]
Show full quote

IMG_8412.jpg

Success! 😀

I formatted C:, reinstalled DOS 6.22, and Windows 3.11. But this time, I didn't choose the "express" installation and integrated the graphics driver (version 2.41) during the installation process of Windows 3.11. And after the installation, I have 72Hz 😀

Thank you again, Babasha, for your support!

BEST!