Common searches

Dune "HERAD" Ad Lib Music Hacking

Topic actions

Reply 160 of 167, by psy_

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
xcomcmdr wrote on 2021-02-22, 19:27:

Just for info, the hacked Adlib gold driver for generic OPL3 soundcards works with the cd version of the game.
Using the tools to unpack and repack DUNE.DAT from the cd version of the game and using the hacked Adlib gold driver from ripsaw8080 ( Re: Idea for Adlib Gold emulation? ) which i attach to the msg renamed to work with the cd version it works as it should 😀

ps. i just needed "api-ms-win-core-winrt-l1-1-0.dll" for DuneExtractor and DuneImpactor to work on my win 7 laptop.

Attachments

• Filename
    DNADG.ZIP
    File size
    2.77 KiB
    Downloads
    76 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 161 of 167, by psy_

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Tested again and it doesnt seem to work 😒 (maybe it works cause the driver on my post is the original dune cd version by mistake) anyway don't have time right now, i'll see to it later.

edit : maybe the driver needs to be packed but can't find a HSQ compression util ( found this but no compiled binary 😒 https://github.com/sonicpp/Dune-game-translations )

Reply 162 of 167, by xcomcmdr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello,

sorry I could not answer sooner.

You can run the game from the hard drive, with all the files from DUNE.DAT decompressed into the same folder as DNCDPRG.EXE.

You still need to re-pack your driver with HSQ compression. Maybe I could produce a compiled executable of sonicpp's HSQH.C file.

Reply 163 of 167, by psy_

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi xcomcmdr, thx for the help! would be nice to have a compiled HSQ compression program, the adlib gold driver is from dune floppy version and made by ripsaw8080 to play nice with generic opl3 soundcards, hope it would work with the CD version of the game.

Reply 164 of 167, by digger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I initially read "HERAD" as "Herald", and immediately I wondered whether this was about someone possibly having composed an Adlib/OPL2 version of the music piece "Herald of the Change" by Hans Zimmer (part of the soundtrack of the recent Dune movie), and perhaps even having managed to patch it into the classic Dune DOS game as additional background music.

It's funny how such a coincidental misinterpretation can lead to such a F█ING AWESOME IDEA.

Now I'm hoping someone will actually do that! ☺️

And why stop there? Perhaps OPL3 and MT-32 versions too!

Reply 165 of 167, by xcomcmdr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
psy_ wrote on 2022-05-31, 10:44:

Hi xcomcmdr, thx for the help! would be nice to have a compiled HSQ compression program, the adlib gold driver is from dune floppy version and made by ripsaw8080 to play nice with generic opl3 soundcards, hope it would work with the CD version of the game.

Hello,

Here it is attached to this post.

Attachments

• Filename
    hsq.exe
    File size
    321.91 KiB
    Downloads
    77 downloads
    File comment
    HSQ.EXE for Windows
    File license
    GPL-2.0-or-later

Reply 167 of 167, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
psy_ wrote on 2022-07-10, 14:48:

Hello xcomcmdr, many thx for the util! gonna try it , got delayed by moving house problems…

I tried this already, unpacked the DAT file and replaced the DNAGD.HSQ file for the patched DUNEAGD.HSQ from the floppy version. I packed the file with the HSQ tool first of course. The game ran, but there was no sound output at all. I guess the best way is to get the Adlib Gold driver from the CD version unpack it with the tool to unpack hsq files and sent it to ripsaw8080 to see if he can do his magic. Then repack it with hsq and rebuilt the DAT file with the patched version.