VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Kcook

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, i need some help with running the game Dominus. Well, the game starts up fine( other then the sound, which i can correct with VDMsound ). Well, I click on new game, then it comes up with the preparing for battle screen like normal, then it crashes back to the desktop. Any idea? im running windows XP btw.

Reply 2 of 8, by Kcook

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Very sorry, I read the rules, i just wasnt thinking when i posted, i usually dont have to write that much info for boards 🤣. Please disregard my stupidity and help with my problem.

Processor : Pentium 4 2.00 ghz

RAM : 512 SDRAM

Video board: Geforce 4 64mb

Sound: Creative Live!

Operating system: Windows XP

Game name: Dominus

Description of problem :I can start the game and get to the main menu, but game crashes after I select new game

Video mode: 1280 x 1024, 32 bit color

I hope that helps

Reply 3 of 8, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

From a quick check this is what I've found:

DOS4GW game (so DosBox is out), does not like to be run in Win9x, has a single (generic) soundblaster option with no settings.

If you're using the GUI Launchpad, leave the "Close DOS Window on exit" box unchecked. That way you should see any error messages generated when it quits.

Reply 4 of 8, by Kcook

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

all i get is a black box, but when i run VDMdos without the GUI i can see the error message in the background.

Unable to InitAsm
file not found- main.bat
file not found- main.bat
file not found
file not found

Reply 5 of 8, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Kcook Unable to InitAsm...

Well, that's not good. That sounds like it was unable to carry out an instruction in the game code. When I've managed to restore my system to some semblance of order, I will try to run some tests on this.

Reply 7 of 8, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ooo... bad news. Not only is this a "Memory Pig" (wants a lot of conventional memory + EMS), it also apparently "Hates NT".

I tried running it in XP... with, and without sound, with, and without VDMSound. All failed with the init.asm problem.

Tried running it in Virtual PC and it just gave me hard lock-ups.

Tried in Win98SE and it gave hard fails as well. Only by using the actual DOS level of 98 was I able to get it to run...in silence. So even a dual-boot probably won't help you with this one.

Unless someone else has an idea, or Mok has another magic executable, I'm at a dead end.

Reply 8 of 8, by Kcook

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yea, the last time i ran this game was back when win 95 was brand new 🤣. Well, thanks for your help so far, i encourage you to keep trying! I really want to play this game again!

I knew about being able to run it in win 98SE's DOS mode without sound, but stangely after about 10 mins the game would crash everytime.

Again, thanks for you help, i hope you'll keep trying, or someone else can maybe take a shot at it? Thanks, cya