VOGONS

Common searches

3D Game Engine Development

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 22, by AvalonPlex

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Beyond impressive what you've been able to achieve. What sorts of model formats will be supported? For animated models, it'd be very interesting to see support for DirectX .X models. Not sure how feasible that'd be. I'm guessing bone-based animations would be a tad too heavy for what you're aiming to do.

Reply 21 of 22, by Dice

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
AvalonPlex wrote on 2024-05-04, 17:48:

Beyond impressive what you've been able to achieve.

Thanks!

AvalonPlex wrote on 2024-05-04, 17:48:

What sorts of model formats will be supported? For animated models, it'd be very interesting to see support for DirectX .X models. Not sure how feasible that'd be. I'm guessing bone-based animations would be a tad too heavy for what you're aiming to do.

I actually developed my own custom 3d model format. It's a binary format which uses fixed point numbers and is more compact and easier to parse than .obj files. You're correct that skeletal bone animations would be too heavy since it would require a lot of matrix operations. I was considering doing vertex animations similar to the ones used in Quake, but that uses a lot of memory since I would need to store the vertexes of each frame. Instead I opted for something in between, where each vertexes is assigned a transform ID (similar to bone IDs) but I only store the inverse transform of each animated frame. That way I don't have to include the bone hierarchy and only the precalculated transformations, saving both memory and compute time.