Reply 140 of 153, by Uka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Hammer wrote on 2024-06-05, 17:32:

I do....I'll image it at some point soon. 😀

Oh, please do 😀

Hammer wrote on 2024-06-05, 17:32:

In the meantime what is the status of getting this stuff to work in DOSBox?

The last time I checked everything was fine with "Man Enough" in DOSBox.
But of course I could only check the part from CD#1.

Reply 141 of 153, by exofreeze

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Most of it is working just fine in staging. I have 8 titles currently setup and running in REMOVED.

The games I don't have yet are due to the fact that those who own the discs haven't imaged them =)

Currently setup and working fine are:

Return to Zork
The Lord of the Rings
The Horde
Flash Traffic
Entity
Drug Wars
Dragon's Lair
Crime Patrol

I do have Space Ace as well, but that one is still not running properly yet.

Last edited by DosFreak on 2024-06-09, 18:25. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 142 of 153, by Uka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have checked DOSBox-Staging about a year ago:

1. Conspiracy - does not work, the game's own driver is loaded, but the non-MPEG version appears, and there is no sound or music.
2. Crime Patrol - everything is fine, except there is an audio stuttering at the very first second of the game intro video.
3. Crime Patrol 2 / Drug Wars - everything is fine!
4. Dragon's Lair - everything seems to be fine! At least in the beginning: I would never be able to complete this game without save states 😉
5. Entity - everything seems to be fine with the patch. Although, I do not see the subtitles in the messages, as I see them in the intro, if that is a bug.
6. Flash Traffic - everything is fine.
7. The Horde - everything is fine, except that the game does not auto-progress after intro videos finish playing.
8. Lord of the Rings - everything is fine.
9. Man Enough - everything is fine (except the game is not completable as disk 2 out of 3 is still missing).
10. Return to Zork - everything seems to be fine! Although there were reports on artifacts in some places (but I did not check them yet).
11. Space Ace - does not work, completely unplayable (pressing any key means instant death)

Reply 143 of 153, by exofreeze

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I was messing with The Psychotron earlier. The primary issue here is getting Win 3x to recognize the device. I've gone through and tried a number of reel magic device drivers, however none of them recognize that a board is installed so far.

It is unclear if the current board emulation reports itself in the way the drivers expect to find it.

There is also a Space Pirates listing on achive that the original uploader promised to replace over three years ago.

Reply 144 of 153, by Uka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
exofreeze wrote on 2024-06-05, 18:20:

I was messing with The Psychotron earlier. The primary issue here is getting Win 3x to recognize the device. I've gone through and tried a number of reel magic device drivers, however none of them recognize that a board is installed so far.

I remember jrdennisoss saying that Windows 3.x support requires DMA, which has not been implemented yet in DOSBoxRM - nor in Staging, it seems.

Reply 145 of 153, by exofreeze

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'll bug the staging guys about it. See if I can get traction.

Reply 146 of 153, by Hammer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
exofreeze wrote on 2024-06-05, 18:58:

I'll bug the staging guys about it. See if I can get traction.

Where is this staging build and how can I download it and play with it? What config needs to be done to get the system to think a reel magic board is present?

Thanks in advance ☺️

Reply 147 of 153, by exofreeze

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

https://www.dosbox-staging.org/

[reelmagic]
# reelmagic: ReelMagic (aka REALmagic) MPEG playback support.
# off: Disable support (default).
# cardonly: Initialize the card without loading the FMPDRV.EXE driver.
# on: Initialize the card and load the FMPDRV.EXE on start-up.
# reelmagic_key: Set the 32-bit magic key used to decode the game's videos.
# auto: Use the built-in routines to determine the key (default).
# common: Use the most commonly found key, which is 0x40044041.
# thehorde: Use The Horde's key, which is 0xC39D7088.
# <custom>: Set a custom key in hex format (e.g., 0x12345678).
# reelmagic_fcode: Override the frame rate code used during video playback.
# 0: No override: attempt automatic rate discovery (default).
# 1 to 7: Override the frame rate to one the following (use 1 through 7):
# 1=23.976, 2=24, 3=25, 4=29.97, 5=30, 6=50, or 7=59.94 FPS.

My general settings:
[reelmagic]
reelmagic=on
reelmagic_key=auto
reelmagic_fcode=0

Reply 149 of 153, by exofreeze

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

that has absolutely nothing to do with exodos.Is dosbox styaging considered an "associated project" now?

He asked how to use reelmagic in staging. So I showed him the section in dosbox staging where you enable that. Are there rules aginst discussing dosbox staging conf files here as well?

This forum is about DOS. Specifically, under "guides".

I guided him on how to accomplish what he wants to do. I don't want to be argumenttative, but I don't think the rules state that other branches of dosbox are not allowed to be discussed here. If I am incorrect, then I apologize. But seriously, I was showing someone how to play reelmagic games. I literally thought that the guide section was for teaching peopke how to do stuff.

Reply 150 of 153, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
exofreeze wrote on 2024-06-05, 17:53:
Most of it is working just fine in staging. I have 8 titles currently setup and running in REMOVED. […]
Show full quote

Most of it is working just fine in staging. I have 8 titles currently setup and running in REMOVED.

The games I don't have yet are due to the fact that those who own the discs haven't imaged them =)

Currently setup and working fine are:

Return to Zork
The Lord of the Rings
The Horde
Flash Traffic
Entity
Drug Wars
Dragon's Lair
Crime Patrol

I do have Space Ace as well, but that one is still not running properly yet.

?

Yes, since dosbox-staging is apparently linking Roland roms, linking to copyrighted software, implementing features at exodos request and supporting exodos packaged games that have issues.
They are free to do all those things at their peril, just not here.

Also this thread is in The Guide -> "DOS"
Getting old DOS games working on modern hardware. (DOSBox topics belong in DOSBox areas below, not here).

Keep in mind that discussion is for owned original copies of software and for Sourceforge dosbox. For "forks" a consolidated thread for fork discussion should be used. There isn't one for staging since it hasn't been created and I doubt it would stay open for long if it was but it would be nice to be proven wrong.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 151 of 153, by exofreeze

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

ah, so you guys only support eXoDOS unofficialy then. Got to pretend on the forums like you don't. Got it.

And I was simply pointing out that I had them running. I can easily leave out the name of the project I have them running in. That part wasn't important.

Reply 152 of 153, by Myloch

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DosFreak wrote on 2024-06-10, 15:20:

Yes, since dosbox-staging is apparently linking Roland roms, linking to copyrighted software, implementing features at exodos request and supporting exodos packaged games that have issues.
They are free to do all those things at their peril, just not here.

Excuse my intrusion, but where exactly the dosbox-staging website links to roms, supports piracy and so on? This sounds new to me.

"Gamer & collector for passion, I firmly believe in the preservation and the diffusion of old/rare software, against all personal egoisms"

Reply 153 of 153, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

exofreeze,
We don't support exodos at all. No pretending. What is important is that you are using exodos and also boasting about not having some games yet since they haven't been imaged and provided to you yet. Mabye now you "get it"? I doubt it.

Myloch,
This is OT so last comment from me unless the thread remains OT. Go to the github staging site and search there. As stated above that's their problem, but it leaks into our forums when people get the impression that it's okay and then we are made out to be the bad guys for pointing it out when the problem lies elsewhere.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline