VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Can someone help please? I couldn't see anything specific on Lemmings under DOS on the forums [but let me know if there's another post ansering my questions].

I'm trying to run Lemmings 2 under IBM DOS 5.0 but it won't start and gives me error messages. It seems it needs more memory free and the manual says I need to use EMM386, which I don't have.

Can I just use any EMM386 program?

My setup is:

K6/2+, Soyo SY 5EMA+, 256MB RAM [overkill for DOS]
SB Pro2
GUS ACE
Matrox G200
Matshita CD attached to SBPro2

The config.sys loads device drivers for the sound cards and CD drive of course.

Any advice welcome - let me know if I need to post my config.sys and/or autoexec files here if that would help. But I'm thinking this is a generic issue with DOS games so there may be a straightofrward answer.

Cheers!

Reply 1 of 7, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OK, I've unloaded various things from config.sys and now Lemmings2 runs.

But I get a screen flicker every few seconds... any ideas here? Do I need an older graphics card ? Or is it likely to be by monitor?

Reply 2 of 7, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So, time for another go at this. Was on the verge of chucking out an old machine, when I remembered my old Quantum Bigfoot was in it, with Lemmings 2: The Tribes. Hah, maybe machine can stay after all, I like the idea of a DOSbox that just boots into games.

No screen flicker now [I reckon it may have been related to the previous mobo/proc combination as its same garohics card used now], the machine is:

P2 350
GA 686BX
Matrox G200
SB Pro2
running IBM DOS 5.0.2
[happens to have 3C905, CD disconnected and primary and secondary HDs].

Sound and video works in this game.

The problem are: the game doesn't allow me to move to the next level, everything more or less takes me back to the starting screen. And load/save do nothing.

I do have a proper copy of this game on 5.25" disks, so I assume that's what's loaded. I wonder if myabe the machine is too fast for some functions [though gameplay itself is absolutely smooth]? Or is this installation messed up in some way.

Grateful for any ideas.

Reply 3 of 7, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A P2 is probably to fast for a 1993 game...or maybe the graphics card isn't suited for the video mode the gqme uses
Try an old S3 based gfx card and see what happens since they are very compatible

Edit: I see now you're using a Matrox card which can cause some weird thing in pure DOS games

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 4 of 7, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

S3 or Cirus Logic cards are always the best compatible choise IMHO. Next to that I have the voodoo3 (pci or agp) that never gave me troubles in pure DOS mode...

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 5 of 7, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ratfink wrote:

So, time for another go at this. Was on the verge of chucking out an old machine, when I remembered my old Quantum Bigfoot was in it, with Lemmings 2: The Tribes.

What kind of filesystem do you have on the disk where Lemmings2 is installed? I've read somewhere that this game has trouble with FAT32 filesystems and only works on FAT16.

Reply 6 of 7, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@5u3:

It's FAT16, 2047mb. There's a couple of other 2GB FAT16 partitions on the same disk.

@Amigaz and keropi:

Do you mean the odd behaviour in terms of some menu items doing nothing, and not being able to get to higher levels, could be due to the graphics card? I no longer get the flicker mentioned in my original posts.

I have a dim recollection the floppy disk worked to install this but then gave errors, so I am pretty sure this is not some demo version [if such things existed].

Hmmm I have searched vogons and found references to this problem in the past - looks like it's copy protection of some sort. I'll have a read....