VOGONS

Installing old games

Topic actions

First post, by BudLight

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm hoping someone can help me with this as I'm horribly uneducated in DOS.

I'm trying to install an abandonware game, Star Crusader, using Dosbox on a Windows Vista 64-bit system. I've been told this is impossible, but from what I've read on the Dosbox site, it is possible.

I've tried two methods: The first, going to the install file through dosbox and running it. It only lets me attempt an install on C:\, but when i specify a destination for installation, it simply says that the game was not installed, and asks for a different directory.

My second attempt was to put the CD rip of the game into an ISO file and mount that via dosbox before running the install. I met with the same results. It's willing to install until I try to specify a destination path.

Can anyone give me some ideas on how to make this work?

Reply 1 of 3, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, we can. And no, we won't. Get an original copy of the game, from eBay or something. If you have trouble installing that, we'll be glad to help. As it is, whatever problems you're experiencing are more likely due to it being an improperly ripped or cracked copy. Perhaps the people you got it from can help you to get it to run, but we don't support "abandonware" on here.

My site: Ramblings on mostly tech stuff.

Reply 2 of 3, by BudLight

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just put up a bid for the CD on Ebay, I'll post again once I get it.

Reply 3 of 3, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Open a new thread then.

[LOCKED]

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)