VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Chris

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, I'm trying to run this awesome game, and I have a big problem.

here's my computer :

Biostar M7VKB
Athlon TBird 900
320 Mb SDRAM 133
GeForce 4 MX
onboard audio (via legacy or something like this)
Windows 2000
so the game is Conquest of the new world deluxe edition
I first got a sound problem, I fixed it installing VDMsound
then the game wouldn't run, saying vesa init failed.
But I looked through the tips of the day in VDM and saw that the game had to be run in fll screen mode. Then the mouse was sticked to the upper-left corner of the screen in the main menu, That's what brought me here, but I fixed that without posting any thread installing mouse2kv, I was like ok this time everything's perfect. But it's not, when I create a game, the "generating world" screen display, and when it's about to start, the game suddenly quit, and get back to windows desktop without any error. I tried without sound, without mouse2kv, but it keeps on doing that.
I don't know what to do, it's frustrating not having any error message, I don't know what's going wrong

Reply 2 of 11, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hmm, generating world, it's probably doing entropy. It wouldn't surprise me that this would kill the game on a processor much faster than it originally was intended for. You might try a slowdown utility.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 4 of 11, by Chris

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

doesn't seem to work, I tried speedset with several values, including -90, and the game still quit on new game. that's weird cause with speedset -90 the game is very slow to start, but the world generation doesn't seem to be affected by this slowdown, it takes the same time to generate the world with or without speedset

Reply 11 of 11, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Chris I've found a tsr on my audio driver cd, it makes auto detection working fine.
I wonder if anyone has managed to run this game under 2k/XP

I don't think so. The demo does the exact same thing. There is precious little info about it and not enough interest. Even when I ran it in Virtual PC, I had to run it at the DOS level of Win9x