VOGONS

First post, by organisation64

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all,
I've been directed here by some chaps on the Dosgames.com forum, Im really hoping you can help me with a sound issue I'm having with the original Theme Park (DOS, 1994).

I'm running MS-DOS 6.22 on a Pentium 120Mhz system. Theme Park itself runs perfectly but I can only get music but no sound effects.

No matter what hardware settings I try when installing, I'll either get no sound or music, or music with no sound. I can NEVER get any sound.

I'm using a Creative CT2960 ISA, which is part of the Sound Blaster 16 family I believe. It's installed perfectly on my system and I can get sound and music in other games like the original DOS Warcraft.

Any ideas? 🙁 I love Theme Park. So many childhood memories.

Reply 1 of 7, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

use DOSBox

Reply 2 of 7, by organisation64

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ideally I don't want to use DOSBox, I'd rather the authentic DOS experience. Plus, I've tried Theme Park on DOSBox in the past and the mouse freezes up every so often.

I'm a bit of a retro nut and I'd like to keep using the real DOS rather than resort to emulators. I've always preferred the original hardware to emulators.

Reply 3 of 7, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

you need to use fixed cycles in dosbox

Reply 4 of 7, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
organisation64 wrote:

Ideally I don't want to use DOSBox, I'd rather the authentic DOS experience. Plus, I've tried Theme Park on DOSBox in the past and the mouse freezes up every so often.

I'm a bit of a retro nut and I'd like to keep using the real DOS rather than resort to emulators. I've always preferred the original hardware to emulators.

You are getting the authentic DOS experience. Your PC is likely too fast. Try massively underclocking it.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 5 of 7, by organisation64

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Should I downgrade my processor? I also have 32mb of SIMM memory, too much?

I asked this over at Dosgames.com, somebody said I should stick with my 120mhz as it would be better for running more resource-hogging DOS games.

Reply 6 of 7, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Theme Park has a few game speeds one can set, so on a pentium 120 you can set it on 'slow' or something and it should be just fine. I had theme park running with sound effects on faster systems, although then the game speed became the problem.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 7 of 7, by Mr_486

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

organisation64:
Can I just ask.. did you download the game from Dosgames? I'm just asking because I downloaded their version and I too can't manage to get the sound working, only music. I originally thought I would just have to play around with the memory settings some more (I remember this was a pain when I had this game the first time round) but now you've mentioned you're having the same problem I'm wondering if it could be the game itself?