VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by bongazi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,
I am running an old dos application that communicates with sensors for a mining pit monitoring system that was custom made.

This dos program was written for windows 95 and ME. Due to systems upgrade it needs to run on XP or Win7.
The program receives data over com1 that it the exports to a text file,
creating a new dated text file every 24hrs. However under dosbox, this does not happen. It writes the text file but when it gets to 24h00 hours it does not create a new file with a new date but continues to wite into the old file and uses 25h00 / 26h00 / 27h00 etc when it should have used a new text file starting with 1h00 PM 2h00PM etc.

I am currently running WIN7
Intel Core Duo CPU E4500 2.2GHz
2GB Ram
80GB SATA
DOSBOX 0.73

I would appreciate any help in this regard.

Reply 3 of 11, by bongazi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

h-a-l-9000
thank you for that - I installed mb5 and things seem to be going really nice.
I added these line to the startup in the .conf file
# Lines in this section will be run at startup.
mount c c:/rstest
c:
date /S
rs-prodo.exe

is the date/S command any good there?

Thank you all for your help and fast replies !!
The pitwall is still standing 😀

regards,

Reply 6 of 11, by bongazi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

h-a-l-9000 - it seems that I am getting a rollover into a new day
with a new text file being created due to the date /S command.
Do i have to state the command everytime I start MB5?

regards and thank you - 😀

Reply 8 of 11, by carangil

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You are running a mining pit monitoring system in DOSBOX? DOSBOX is meant for games, and well its great that it runs lots of DOS software, do you want to trust your mining operations to an emulator? I'm not trying to speak bad of DOSBOX, I think its a great piece of software, but using it for mining pit monitoring just seems risky and irresponsible.

A more robust solution might be to either run ms-dos/freedos in vmware, or put a real DOS partition on your drive. I have managed to get win 7 and fat32 dos prompt running on the same machine.

Reply 10 of 11, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Indeed, any realtime app or something that is critical for some buisness process
should neither be run in an emulator nor a virtualizer (maybe vmware guys
can give you some promises, don't know).
Have your company rewrite/new-write the app for xp+.

Reply 11 of 11, by Yushatak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I would far sooner trust DOSBox than a full VM - it's way more stable and responsive in my experience.

That said I'd just use a hardware DOS machine for something that serious - DOS can run on modern hardware fine if you can't find a 486 or something, and drivers can be found for most hardware under DOS (USB, modern network cards, etc.).