VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by valakivi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hi, im trying to get this game to work on windows XP, ive done everything this web ( http://members.iinet.net.au/~rsd/ ) says but i keep crashing when playing from u8w with VDMSound.
any ideas?:(

Reply 1 of 8, by Sharky

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I wish I could get that work too, yet ive got Windows Me and still wont work for me.

I know it wants True Dos alright, yet I cant get it working on Windows Me and Above.

Hopefully soon, DOSBox emulator will support it behind I totally give up altogether. 😮

Reply 2 of 8, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's been A LONG TIME since I played Ultima VIII: Pagan. IMHO, it was better than U IX: Ascension but worse than Ultimas VII. Anyway, I must have those floppies somewhere in my house. I will try find 'em and post back when I do some testing.

Reply 4 of 8, by FeedingDragon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not sure about XP (or ME.) I'm running Win2k and the same thing kept happening to me until I selected the CPU speed limiters (forgot their name, and I don't have the addon installed right now.) I had the slider all the way to the right though. Turn those off and it crashed, turn them on and it ran fine (sortof.)

My problem was that the digital sound (not midi,) was extremely garbled. That's what I was looking on here for when I found this post 😀

Feeding Dragon

Reply 5 of 8, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by FeedingDragon My problem was that the digital sound (not midi,) was extremely garbled. That's what I was looking on here for when I found this post

Basically, nothing much has changed since the last time this was discussed.

To run this one properly will either require an updated version of the patch/hack or through full-emulation in a tool like DosBox (don't hold your breath, kills the latest DosBox CVS).

Reply 7 of 8, by DOS_Boy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I tried Ultima VIII in 0.61 and it ran just perfect... Sounds are ok, both midi and digital, and the speed is as smooth as it is on my 486 😀

"But listen to me brother, you just keep on walking, 'cause you and me and sister ain't got nothing to hide..." - Scatman John

Reply 8 of 8, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Yeah, even the intro works fine now. All praise Dosbox (as it now runs every Ultima, except U9, to me Dosbox is perfect and needs no further development 😀)