Common searches

EF 2000 v2.0 3Dfx need help

Topic actions

First post, by photios

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys,
I'm trying to run EF 2000 v2.0 with my Diamon Monster 3D (Voodoo 1 board) and when I try to play a mission or a quick game it crashes and says at the prompt: qrssthardwarequerry failed. Do I need to have some SST variables set first for the Voodoo 1 in order for it to be initialized and recognized by the game? I understand that this game doesn't use the glide2x.ovl driver. Thanks for the help.

-photios

Reply 1 of 24, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Lots of threads on this already. Have you searched for ef2000 in these forums yet?

EF2000 for DOS with 3DFX patch looks promising. (You did start the game from the .bat file, right?)

Reply 2 of 24, by photios

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

No I did not start the game from a .bat file, because I didn't see that the installer actually created a .bat file in the v2.0 3Dfx version directory (which you install from within windows) which is run within the windows environment even though it's technically a DOS game. This is not a patched version but the boxed v2.0 EF 2000.

Reply 4 of 24, by photios

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, the v2.0 box supposedly has the graphics+ patch already included in it if you install the 3Dfx version during the initial install. Did that and I can run the game and get into the menus, but I can't fly. Crashes with the error I stated above. Tried this on two different old school machines, windows 98 and 95, same error. Very frustrating.

I have an original 3Dfx Voodoo (Monster 3D, 4MB) and would love to see this game run on it.

Reply 6 of 24, by photios

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well the manual says that although the 3Dfx v2.0 is a DOS game you are supposed to run it in a Windows environment, something to do with the way Windows can allocate the memory properly, but I dunno.

I tried booting up with a floppy boot into DOS and I get the same error, can get into the menus but can't fly crashes back to the command prompt with that qrssthardwarequerry error.

I have an original Voodoo 1 here so either a) it isn't finding the card or b) the game isn't patched write from the installer. 3dfxdiag finds the card no problem so it must be the game and the card works in other games that require the .ovl driver.

I might just go a different route and get a hold of EF 2000 1.0 DOS, add the Tactcom edition, and then patch it up with the G+ patch manually and see if I obtain the same result. If that is the case, then there is a problem with the way my v 2.0 is installing the game.

If anyone has the retail v2.0 box game and can run it correctly with the 3dfx install option, please let me know though.

Reply 7 of 24, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
photios wrote:

No I did not start the game from a .bat file, because I didn't see that the installer actually created a .bat file in the v2.0 3Dfx version directory (which you install from within windows) which is run within the windows environment even though it's technically a DOS game.

So are you using the .bat file in your tests? I'm confused.

Reply 8 of 24, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

the taw wiki
http://taw.wikia.com/wiki/Running_EF2000_on_a … _and_Windows_98
you could try adding the v2 enviroment vars to your autoexec.bat

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 9 of 24, by photios

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

No I'm not using a .bat file, unless the shortcut that is created in the Menu by the installer IS a . bat file, which points to the EF2000.exe. Now there is another .exe in the directory called _ef2000.exe (with the underscore before the ef). I wonder if I should try that one instead and create a .bat file from that one.

What's funny is that the manual says to create a shortcut on your desktop to edit the environment variables that is supposed to point to the .bat file but there is no .bat file created by the Installer. Odd.

As far as the Voodoo2 SST variables are concerned, I don't have a voodoo2 card currently installed, so I shouldn't need them,plus I tried it anways a few days ago just to see and it still gave me the same error.

This whole thing is incredibly bizarre, especially since this isn't a bootleg copy, but the real deal, box, manuals, disc and all of EF 2000 v2.0

Reply 10 of 24, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If there's a .pif file, environment variables might also be created in there. (.pif files may appear as shortcuts in Windows Explorer. They're not quite the same thing.)

Reply 11 of 24, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

whats your 2d card ?
can you run any other dos 3dfx games

found the voodoo 1 enviroment variables

SET SST_FASTMEM=1
SET SST_FASTPCIRD=0
SET SST_VIDEO_24BPP=1
SET FX_GLIDE_SWAPINTERVAL=0
SET SST_SWAP_EN_WAIT_ON_VSYNC=0
SET SST_SCREENREFRESH=85
SET SST_RGAMMA=1.2
SET SST_GGAMMA=1.2
SET SST_BGAMMA=1.2
SET SST_GRXCLK=60

beware of SET SST_SCREENREFRESH=85
change it to the right refresh for your monitor

Edit: just installed ef2000 (ver 1.0 not 2.0) and it created 2 bat files
config.bat and ef2000.bat

config.bat:
set DID=.
set quick_flag=1
conf.exe

ef2000.bat
set DID=.
set quick_flag=1
_ef2000.exe gui

Last edited by Davros on 2010-09-14, 21:39. Edited 1 time in total.

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 12 of 24, by photios

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My 2D card is an Nvidia Geforce 6800 Ultra AGP. Not really much of a 2D card, more like a powerhouse for this machine.

I have two Windows 98 SE machines, one with the 6800 Ultra and the other with a 3Dfx Voodoo 5 5500 agp. Both resulted in the same error.

The Voodoo 1 works fine in both machines in Windows games (and I can confirm these games are using the Voodoo1 and not the 6800 Ultra or the Voodoo5).

I have just about all the DOS glide games. Which one should would you recommend I use to troubleshoot this issue (since I know the card works in Windows glide only games)?

Reply 18 of 24, by photios

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well I've tried upgrading from Ef2000 1.0 DOS ---> Tactcom ---> Graphics+ the slow manual way to see if there is any difference same thing:

Error: grssthardwarequerry<> failed

It looks like it is trying to find the hardware. In other games, it seems to have a tough time finding the voodoo as well in DOS (windows is fine), I wonder if this has to do with this comp being a Pentium 4 Northwood 3.06 Ghz? Could it be that my comp is running too fast and not allowing the program to detect the hardware?

Any additional thoughts? Does anyone play EF2000 2.0 3Dfx successfully?

Thanks.

Reply 19 of 24, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
photios wrote:

I wonder if this has to do with this comp being a Pentium 4 Northwood 3.06 Ghz? Could it be that my comp is running too fast and not allowing the program to detect the hardware?

Didn't you say you tried it on some other machines as well? Were they of similar specs?