VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Mr_Blastman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So I just got my SC-55 in the mail! Woohooooo! One problem though, I can't figure out how to chain the devices so games use one but not the other. I have them wired correctly with the MT-32 as the first device connected directly to my PC through MIDI out, then I have audio outs routed to the SC-55 plus the midi THRU cable routed to my SC-55's midi IN.

The SC-55 tests great in the demo songs and I can hear it loud and clear. I can also hear the MT-32.

The problem is, the MT-32 has to be on to route to the SC-55 and the SC-55 has to be on to hear the MT-32. DOS games are using BOTH devices. How do I fix this so they only use one of the two?

This is my first time chaining devices as I've been using my MT-32 for a few years now.

Reply 1 of 9, by Mr_Blastman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, I've settled on muting the sc-55 when I want to play mt-32 games and turning the mt-32 volume down when I want to play sc-55 games. It isn't perfect but it works I guess. 🙁

Maybe I need to look into a midi select box or something. Also, a true MPU-401 card that is ISA. How much should those cost on average (i.e. reasonably)?

Reply 4 of 9, by jmrydholm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have almost the exact setup as you have, a mk.1 SC-55 and a 1st gen MT-32. I've taken to setting them up separately. I should probably use a mixer device as well. One thing that drives me nuts is the game X-Com, UFO Unknown v1.4 (which I recently patched the Roland.cat thanks to the help of my fellow users!) initially turns up the volume on my MT-32 to about 80 when starting the game. I scared the crap out of myself one quiet evening when turning it on 🤣

"The height of strategy, is to attack your opponent’s strategy” -Sun Tzu
“Make your fighting stance, your everyday stance and make your everyday stance, your fighting stance.” - Musashi
SET BLASTER = A220 I5 D1 T3 P330 E620 OMG WTF BBQ

Reply 5 of 9, by Paddan1000

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The best way is to connect the SC-55 as the first device and the MT-32 as the second. Then you can mute the SC-55 whenever you only want to hear the MT-32. If you only want to hear the SC-55 you simply leave the MT-32 turned off.

Reply 6 of 9, by Mr_Blastman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I got the chaining worked, and also am able to run them both on my pure DOS PC through a SB AWE 32 midi port using a joystick splitter cable. With a patch on quest studios, I can play most old sierra games fine using the MT-32 on it.

However, the SC-55 has one nagging problem with Clouds/Worlds of Xeen... only on the pure DOS PC. It hangs on the title screen--or at least goes really slow. Almost like the program hates that the SC-55 is connected via an AWE port. I disable SB audio and just SC-55 for music and it still hangs.

If I use pure AWE FM-Synth audio (OPL3) it runs fine.

Weird, right? Any thoughts?

I know I need to get a MPU-401 compatible card but, well, I have no idea how much is reasonable to expect to pay for such a thing and other than a de-chipped card, I'm not having luck finding one for less than 200 bucks which I think is nuts.

Reply 7 of 9, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For 200 just get a SCC-1 which is an ISA Sound Canvas + MPU401 port 😀

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 9 of 9, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes music stores! You never know, but you might run into one that have Roland gear lying around 😀

And Yahoo auctions Japan. But you need to go through a freight forwarding service AFAIK.