VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i used to run dos7.1(from windows98se) on a 815e mainboard with 512mb of ram, and i usually load himem+emm386+smartdrv. some games such as simcity2000 are already crashing on this machine, but others including doom and duke3d managed to run. and now i am attempting to run on two core2 machines, both with 2gb of ram, and end up with different problems.

via pt880 mainboard: emm386 hangs at loading so i have to remove it. nothing can be loaded into high memory without emm386, leaving me only 565kb free. doom crashes at quitting if smartdrv is loaded, won't crash without.

p965 mainboard: emm386 manages to load but most programs(including dos commands) reports "program too big to fit in memory" with it, and harddisks simply become inaccessible after loading smartdrv. no problems have yet been encountered without emm386, except also having only 565kb free.

any workarounds?

Reply 1 of 4, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Why are you trying to run MS-DOS on such new machines? A Core2 is so much faster than the computers those programs were originally designed on that many things are likely to run badly. Why not just use DOSBox?

If you really want to do this, FreeDOS might have fewer problems.

I have no idea why on earth are you trying to load Smartdrv.

Reply 3 of 4, by Mr_Blastman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

We don't run DOS on a modern PC? We use older hardware from the era such as 286/386/486 and Pentium 1 boards. I might go as high as a P3 but that's about it and really overkill for a lot of things except being able to kill cache and run fast.