VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by crash.

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, I am wondering if there is any utility to mount a .bin CD image in DOS. This is not for DOSbox but DOS 6.22 or Windows 98 DOS mode. I don't think .ISO images will work a some games have multiple tracks or music.

Thanks

Reply 1 of 9, by Jolaes76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

To my best knowledge, there is no such virtual drive for DOS. Fakecd and the likes can only simulate single session discs, not CD-EXTRA or mixed-mode CD. You need Win9x for that, and Daemon Tools/Alcohol etc. - whatever you judge to be best (compatible and low footprint)

"Ita in vita ut in lusu alae pessima iactura arte corrigenda est."

Reply 2 of 9, by crash.

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Virtual Clonedrive works in Win98 - and is free, but I'm not sure if all of the games will run in 98. For DOS, the closest I can find are
SHSUCDX: a replacement for MSCDEX. v3.02
SHSUCDHD: emulates a CD-ROM using an image file. v3.01

I think this setup only supports ISO files, but perhaps this will cover some of the titles.

Reply 3 of 9, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I tried burning a few cue/bin images from GOG.com games with limited success. I bought 10 CD-RW discs as you can just erase them if something goes wrong 😀

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 4 of 9, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's the theory, but in my experience CD-RW and DVD-RW discs have a nasty habit of not working correctly after even just the first couple of write-erase cycles. I never really figured out why.

Reply 6 of 9, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Why worry about failed burns when the blanks are as cheap as they are? Besides, coasters are a lot more rare than they used to be.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 7 of 9, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well, there are always cases of user error in which the wrong thing has been burned, or burned in the wrong way – but really, we're getting off-topic here.

There is indeed no way that I know of to play CD-audio from a mixed-mode CD image in DOS, or at least not at the same time as something else; it would require too much sophisticated interaction with the sound card.

Reply 9 of 9, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
jwt27 wrote:

there is no way (yet) to play digital CD audio in DOS.

Well, there is, just not from an image. (And while something could feasibly play the audio tracks from an image, it wouldn't be able to run at the same time as something else.)