VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by trist007

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

1. How do I disable the MIDI on a Awe64 gold card? Do I just not run the aweutil command at boot? I tried looking for a jumper for midi address but found nothing. I need to change it to 300 so that it does not interfere with a scc-1 card.

2. I have a scc-1 card. How do I know if it's a scc-1a or scc-1b? The card just says scc-1 board in the middle.

3. How do I connect a cm64 with a scc-1 and a awe64 gold? I'm thinking I go MIDI out on scc-1 to MIDI in on cm64, then I go out from from L/R jacks in back of cm64 to line in on awe64 gold. Or do I need a mixer and do the following, scc-1 L/R out to mixer, MIDI out from scc-1 to MIDI in on cm64, then L/R from cm64 to mixer, then mixer to line in on awe64 gold?

-Tristan

Reply 1 of 23, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

1. Run CTCU which is in the CTCM folder (If you don't have this folder follow my tutorial here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9GSYgarPs4). Then disable the MIDI port OR simply move it to address 300.

2. Not sure

3. There are two connections. The MIDI connections and then the actual audio signal. For the MIDI connection you need a joystick - MIDI cable (you can get these on eBay). This MIDI cable has a MIDI - Out which you connect into the MIDI - In of hte CM-64.

To mix the audio together you connect the L/R from the CM-64 into the Line-in from the AWE64.

Reply 4 of 23, by CapnCrunch53

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Put "DEVICE=C:\windows\setver.exe" in your config.sys, and then type "setver sbbasic.exe 6.22" at the command line. That fools all programs with that name into thinking it's DOS version 6.22.

Although isn't sbbasic just the auto-extracting archive? I never had trouble getting that to work in Win95 DOS, its install.exe that gave me that problem. Regardless, setver should work for both.

PCs, Macs, old and new... too much stuff.

Reply 10 of 23, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
CapnCrunch53 wrote:

Put "DEVICE=C:\windows\setver.exe" in your config.sys, and then type "setver sbbasic.exe 6.22" at the command line. That fools all programs with that name into thinking it's DOS version 6.22.

trist007 wrote:

For some reason when I try to run ctcu.exe I always get "ctcu cannot be run under win95 or win3.1 dos box" even after I ran setver ctcu.exe 6.22 and rebooted.

The Sound Blaster utilities are pretty much the only thing I've seen that absolutely requires you to boot from genuine DOS 6.22. Setver won't cut it.

Reply 12 of 23, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just get a floppy disk that boots into DOS 6.22, of course. It is easy to find an appropriate downloadable floppy disk image. Once the driver download has been unpacked, you won't need DOS 6.22 anymore.

Reply 14 of 23, by trist007

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Going to try it tonite for sure, work has been a beast. Another question, if I go from midi out on the scc-1 to cm-64 then out from cm-64 to line-in on sbawe64 then I just hear the cm-64 and the sbawe64 correct?

If I wanted to hear the GM sounds from the scc-1 I would have to get a mixer no? Does anybody have any good recommendations. I'd love to get a MOTU 24 I/O but that would be overkill. I also just got a sc-8850 😀.

-Tristan

Reply 15 of 23, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My 16GB CF card is formatted with a W98SE start disk and I manually have copied all the DOS files from another W98SE installation.

I had no issues running install or ctcu. I also had no need for setver for some reason.

A Dos 6.22 boot disk won't let you access an fat32 partition though. So not quite sure if that will help him out.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 16 of 23, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You could get a mixer or you could get an audio switcher box with the CM-64 and GM signals coming in the output going into the line-in. Then you just switch to whatever device you want to use.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 17 of 23, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

A Dos 6.22 boot disk won't let you access an fat32 partition though. So not quite sure if that will help him out.

Oh, right, I forgot about that. DRFAT32 or something similar would have to be included on the boot disk if the hard drive has no FAT16 partitions.

...This is getting a little convoluted, isn't it? Did Creative not include a version of CTCU/CTCM for use with Windows 9x? And if not, isn't there some way to disable the MIDI port from within Win9x?

Reply 18 of 23, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jorpho wrote:
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Oh, right, I forgot about that. DRFAT32 or something similar would have to be included on the boot disk if the hard drive has no FAT16 partitions.

...This is getting a little convoluted, isn't it? Did Creative not include a version of CTCU/CTCM for use with Windows 9x? And if not, isn't there some way to disable the MIDI port from within Win9x?

Windows 9x Device Manager allows you to set, change and disable resources just as CTCU would. In a system with Windows 9x installed its usually easier to use that.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 19 of 23, by trist007

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I never installed DOS. I just installed windows 98SE which comes with DOS. Ok so I use the device manager to change the midi address to 300. Do I need to change the IRQ and DMA for the SCC-1 to work properly? So I make these changes in windows 98SE and then when I reboot and go into DOS those changes will hold?

-Tristan